Updates Released For May 2017 "Patch Tuesday"

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
If you have Windows XP SP3 configured to keep receiving security updates, these are the ones that were released today:

KB4018271 - for Internet Explorer 8

KB4014585
KB4014605
KB4017101
- for Microsoft .NET Framework

KB4018466
KB4018490
KB4018556
KB4019204
KB4019206
- for Windows XP

---------------------------------------------------------------

On an additional note.

The only popular browser that I'm aware of that still supports Windows XP is Mozilla Firefox.
Version 52 is the last one that will support and install in Windows XP.
If you try to install version 53, it will fail to install.

In order to keep receiving updates in version 52, you need to install and use version 52 ESR(Extended Support Release).
You can get it from HERE.
Select the download link under the "Windows" column for your language.

Last edited:
The Firefox 52 ESR downloader for XP in English gives me a 404 on my XP machine. Firefox 36, itself, claims to be fully up-to-date.

I am also unable to correctly view the website (reccommended by TSG) for keeping IE up to date: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/default.aspx

Every single website the old version of Firefox (36 something) opens is labelled as having no security certificate. When I try to open IE to find out what version of it I have, the browser immediately crashes. I don't know how to make Windows XP find or receive security updates.

Do I have to download everything using another computer and then transfer them by physical disk? Is that now the only way to get new downloads onto an XP machine? I looked on this Win 7 computer and the website does not even display any links to download anything for Windows XP. Only "Windows" (no version specified) and "Windows 64-bit" (again, no version given).

And what website do I go to, to download the Windows updates you listed?

Last edited:

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Make sure you select this download link which is the 32-bit version.
Capture.JPG

Many sites will no longer load or display properly in IE8.
That's why you need to use Firefox 52.

AVG (hasn't been able to update in a while) immediately freaked out when I tried to install that. It says multiple "Virus Win32/Heri" were found in c:\Documents and Settings\[user\Local Settings\temp\7zS11.tmp\core\(more file name, different for each "virus")

It isn't giving me any option to let them through.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
A custom install of Avast Free Antivirus 17.4 is what I use in Windows XP SP3.

Get rid of AVG Free Edition, then use the AVG Remover tool to get rid of its leftover file and registry debris.

OK trying to uninstall AVG now...
OK, now running AVG Remover...

Looking for Avast, there are a lot of weird 3rd-party websites. https://www.avast.com/en-us/windows does not have a clear way to dowload that specific version, just an unspecified "free antivirus" which takes me to another weird 3rd-party website. What is the safe url to download this program?

Should I install the Avast before or after trying to update Firefox?

How do I get those Windows Updates you listed, and configure Windows XP to receive Security updates?

Should I uninstall IE entirely, or replace it with IE 11, and in the latter case, how?

Last edited:
AVG Remover starts running but is always blocked from finishing.

Now I've got it going again... have restarted a few times already. It does seem to take hours to run it just once. Is that abnormal?

I started running it around 3:40 or 4:00 and it's now 6:30. It is still "in progress" and hasn't asked for a reboot since 3:30. The hourglass icon on the program has not moved in quite a while.

Periodically I have to re-unlock the Software Policy before it re-locks -- is that what's making this take so long? Or is something wrong and I need to restart and re-run the AVG remover?

Last edited:

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Some people are having trouble installing the emergency patch (KB4012598) in Windows XP because they may be obtaining the wrong one.
Go to the Microsoft Update Catalog site.
Type KB4012598 in the search box in the upper right of the page, then press the Enter key.
Allow the add-on to install if prompted to.
The list of updates should then appear.
Click "Last Updated" so the updates arrange themselves from the newest to the oldest ones.
The list of KB4012598 updates will appear first at the top of the list.
If you're using Windows XP SP3 normally, select this entry to download:
Capture1.JPG
If you're using Windows XP SP3 that's been configured to keep receiving updates, select this entry to download:
Capture2.JPG

Thanks. I have got Firefox 52.1.1 ESR and Avast on now.

How do I know whether XP is configured to receive updates, or change it so that it is configured to receive updates? Or can I just download both of those and see which one is able to install?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I have got Firefox 52.1.1 ESR
The current version for Firefox "extended support release" is now 52.1.2.
If you load Firefox, then click "Help - About Firefox", it should update from 52.1.1 to 52.1.2.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Okay, good. (y)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online