1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

updates sign won't go off

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by courtrafael, Jul 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. courtrafael

courtrafael Thread Starter

the "updates are ready for your computer" comes up even after i just updated it. i don't even know what they are updating. it comes on everytime i log on. what's up with that?

joan

2. The Hound

The Hound

Go to Windows Update and click the 'Review Your Update History' link on the left. Any failed updates should have a researchable error code. You can post that back in your next reply, along with the update that's giving you trouble (ie kb931212).

3. courtrafael

ok went there and found "installation failure" error code ox800706BE. there were about 7 failed upgrades and one cancelled. they were all for "windows genuine advantage" and one was "internet explorer 7" which i started to install and then stopped because i changed my mind. do i have to "reinstall some of these"? and if so, how. if not how do i get rid of them

joan

4. The Hound

The Hound

Click (or double click, I can't remember--it's been hours) the yellow shield to open the update dialog box--put the dot in 'custom', and click next--

What updates are offered?

5. courtrafael

it said that "genuine advantage" was not updated so i clicked "install now" and it said that my copy of windows was NOT genuine and i could have a counterfeit copy. it then took me to a screen offering me REAL windows for something like $140. no way. i logged off and later logged on only to get numerous screens asking me to get "genuine windows"

can they do that? what i have is fine to me. i cannot afford the $140. can they remove "my version" of windows"? btw, i did not get the "upgrades are ready for your computer" balloon this time. thanks for your help

joan

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/594656

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice