1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Updates

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by robert.bev, Feb 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. robert.bev

robert.bev Robert Thread Starter

Power ATX 12v MODEL:750 UB
    BIOS Award F3 V600PG

Gigabyte Motherboard H55M-D2H rev 1.4

Intel Core 3.2Gb i3 550 3.2Gb

Monitor resolution 1680 X 1050

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev 2 socket 775, 1156, 1366, A2 AM3 Heat-pipe

Ram Memory 8Gb slot A0 & A2

Nvidia GeForce GTS 450

Controller Intel 3400 2port ATA- 3B26

Wireless network TP-Link 150Mps PCI Adapter

Sound Realtek HD Audio

256 Gb SSD drive with Operating System

500Gb General storage drive

250Gb photo storage drive

Comodo firewall

Avast anti virus

Hi all, I was downloading windows updates and afterwords I noticed that Microsoft Silverlight had come with them, this is a prog I had removed a long time ago as I did not need it and still know nothing really about it, so my question is... As addobe flash is now considered to be open to viruses and unsafe to use, and for safety I have stopped using it, is Silverlight safe, and will it be a good replacement for Addobe flash? regards R0bert

2. Sponsor

3. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

Silverlight and Flash are from two different companies (Microsoft and Adobe, respectively) and they support different tasks. If you don't need Silverlight, just uninstall it and then reboot your PC.

4. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor

As far as I can see, unless I have missed it you do not list what OS and what browser

Edge on 10 does not support Silverlight
    Firefox will NOT allow Silverlight on their browser from March this year
    https://support.mozilla.org/t5/Mana...ight-plugin-to-play-audio-and-video/ta-p/2318

and this
    https://www.fxsitecompat.com/en-CA/docs/2016/plug-in-support-has-been-dropped-other-than-flash/

as the move progresses towards media via browser not requiring any add-ons the use of Silverlight will become less and less in the next couple of years
    The last Silverlight release was 2011
    In answer to its security - IMHO if you find you need a add-on for media use Flash rather than Silverlight but ONLY activate it when you need it

5. robert.bev

Hi both, thanks for your input,sorry I missed some details, the OS is Windows7 Pro & the browser is Firefox.
    Do you think that Silverlight updates are dedicated or do they do another job as well? what I am wondering is if it will be in order to find all the Silverlight updates and delete them, regards Robert.

6. Macboatmaster

Have you noticed my information re Firefox and the change in March this year

if you choose to uninstall
    ESTABLISH A RESTORE POINT FIRST
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb...t-installation-and-then-reinstall-Silverlight
    use the fixit

reboot the computer
    go disk cleanup
    then run that and after it completes
    re start disk cleanup
    this time click the cleanup system files button

reboot and test if all is OK

Of course you then need to ensure you are not configured for updates download and install automatically otherwise you will have it reinstalled
    Therefore I recommend - either notify and I will choose when to download and install which I consider the best option
    OR download but let me choose whether to install

7. robert.bev

Ok, will do , many thanks for your help, I don't need silverlight so I will do as you suggest. if I need anymore help I will come back, but I am sure with your directions I will be ok, again many thanks, regards Robert.

8. Macboatmaster

Cheers
    Like the avatar
    Mine is this
    3808449_-1_20111205043924_0_0.jpg

but compared to your Avatar a suitable tender to it

9. robert.bev

Hi Mac
    My pic is Sea Cloud a sailing cruise ship, and its not often you see ships like this under sail, and while I have taken dozens of photos of her and others like her in port, I have come accross Sea Cloud many times between the Med and the Caribbean, last year was the first time I have seen her at sea under sail as we were cruising between the Canary islands. But your photo is better than mine because she is yours, although the background does not look like wales, more like the Brixham end, on a wet day :),regards Robert

10. Macboatmaster

Peel Isle of Man - Marina
    good trip across from Anglesey
    Regards

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1185479