1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Updates

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by RED CLOUD, Jan 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RED CLOUD

RED CLOUD Thread Starter

Dear Friends,

May I first of all say I am based in the U.K. and have Windows 10 Home Edition on a Desktop Computer. I subscribe to a Computer Magazine which has a good reputation but was somewhat confused by an article which appeared recently. It mentioned the well known Patch Tuesday updates (B updates) on the second Tuesday each month, my first question is are these automatically installed or do you have to install them manually ?

The article then mentioned that C and D updates become available in the third and fourth weeks of the month but are optional, I have to confess that I have been installing these updates. However I was surprised to learn that these updates are "Preview" ones and Microsoft is using me as a Beta Tester. The article contained the following and I quote- "They will not install unless you click Check for Updates, but if you do not click this the tools are likely to be added automatically in the following months B Update" . This leads to my second question, if they are released the following month would Microsoft only do this if they had been tested and come out of the Beta stage ?

Thank you for reading this an I apologise for taking up so much of your time,

Red Cloud

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    What version and build are you using?
    If you are using "Windows 10 Insider Preview" then yes that is beta.
    But, if you are using Windows 10 1809, then you are using the Production and there is NOT Beta about it.

3. RED CLOUD

RED CLOUD Thread Starter

Dear Dave,

Thank you so much for your reply, I really appreciate your assistance. I have Windows 10 Home, Version 1809, O.S. Build 17763.253 so obviously the question of "Beta" does not apply. Are you able to confirm as to whether or not the Tuesday Patch updates install automatically or have to installed manually ?

Regards,

Red Cloud

4. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    Your updates will be installed automatically when your computer is on. Sometimes for the updates to be installed you may need to restart your computer to complete the process. This applies only to Windows 10 OS.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Your computer is up-to-date, as of 01/08/2019. (y)
    Do not select and install any "Preview" updates if your computer is running a normal version and not an insider preview version of Windows 10. (n)

----------------------------------------------------------------

6. RED CLOUD

RED CLOUD Thread Starter

Dear Texasbullet and Flavallee,

Thank you both very much for your replies, most appreciated.

Regards,

Red Cloud

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You're welcome. :)

---------------------------------------------------------------

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1221687

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice