1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Updating 9800XT BIOS, how?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by grambo, Dec 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. grambo

grambo Thread Starter

:confused:

Was wondering where I could find a new BIOS for my card and was wondering if there was a utility to flash my graphics card BIOS?

Is it even worth it? The date on the BIOS version I have on my 9800XT is from late 2003, shouldn't I be keeping up with the times?

2. norton850

norton850

I have a 9800 XT and I admit I don't even know what BIOS version it has or if there are any updates available. I would give you the same advice about the card BIOS as I would with a system BIOS. Unless you are having a problem that is know to be fixed by a BIOS update, no reason to do one.

3. grambo

grambo Thread Starter

Ya, the only reason I was curious was because I figured I could get some sort of performance boost from a newer BIOS. If you download the newest catalyst control center it tells you what BIOS version you have, and mine was from around October 2003. Seeing as it's just about 2005 I figure there must be a new BIOS out there.

4. norton850

norton850

Well, if you're curious this my BIOS version

BK-ATI VER 008.015.058.000

5. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

6. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

A video card bios isn't exactly like a motherboard bios. They are very rarely updated. Nvidia had some manufacturers ship cards with bad bios and they recommended flashing those cards. I think they were 6800gt's that were bad. The bios was a "fix" for that bunch of cards.

If you already have a 9800XT, it isn't going to do much good to flash it to an XT.;) The flash comes in when you get a declocked XT sold as a pro. That is when a bios flash is going to work in your favor.

7. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

That's what i meant. all the dudes on newegg said that. and is there much to worry or was the two articles i read correct, if you follow the precautions and make a backup and have a pci card ready, you should be able to handle it. its not like it will fry the card if i try to flash to XT will it???

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/312174

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice