1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

updating all my hardware???help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fakealias21, Jan 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fakealias21

fakealias21 Thread Starter

id like to update my bios,not even sure what it is,except more up to date sometimes more stabel,id like to update my motherboard,and im not sure which i have,and any others anyone can think of,i have my latest video card update,i have a amd athlon thunderbird 1300mhz,my bios from what i can tell is from Award software 5/24/02,any help at all,thanx everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

and im not sure about chipset driver?or any thing else i can update hardware wise.

2. Mavrick88

Mavrick88

If you have never updated a BIOS before please take it from me and get someone who knows how to update one and let them do it. I tried to update a BIOS one time on a Asus motherboard and fried the BIOS set. I had to buy a new motherboard because there was no way of fixing it, even after spending a lot of time on the phone with Asus tech support. If you are going to just upgrade anyway, and you like AMD, I would just wait for the new 64 bit motherboards and processors to come out, very soon that is, because buying something now will cost the same as buying the 64 bit stuff. It's going to be much faster than todays motherboards and processors. I would just wait. If you are going to upgrade soon, I wouldn't even risk the chance of updating your BIOS espically if you don't know how to do it, or even know the brand/model number of it. It's just not safe. Some people will say it's no problem, but that's because they really KNOW how to do it and if you knew, you wouldn't be asking. Trust me wait on the AMD 64 bit stuff to come out. You'll save money and get a much better buy and system!

3. spaceman_333

spaceman_333

Howdy,

Why are you wanting to update anything, particularily the BIOS? Are you having problems? If not, leave it alone and enjoy it!! Problems happen soon enough.....we don't have to go out and create them.

Spaceman

4. Party Boy

Party Boy

If it aint broke - don't fix it! ;)

5. TOGG

TOGG

fakealias,

If you want to know everything about everything installed in your computer look at AIDA32; http://www.aida32.hu/aida32.php

This is a free utility that lists all your hardware and software. If you do decide to try it, get the version released 12/13/2002 in case the 'preview' version is still a bit wobbly. When it has identified all your hardware it usually provides links to makers websites.

Like spaceman and Party Boy, I wonder why you want to mess with scary stuff like BIOS if nothing's wrong at the moment?. Even a simple driver update could go wrong and you'd need to have driver backups, restore points or Go Back type software so that you could put things back how they were if anything got screwed up.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113680

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice