1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Updating Bios

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by tranch, Jan 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tranch

tranch Thread Starter

Recently got an older Dell laptop with Vista on it. I know nothing has ever been upgraded on it and I'd like to upgrade the bios but Dell won't give me any information because it's not under warrantee. Is there a web site where I can go to that can scan for the correct updated bios and possibly scan the laptop and let me know what else needs to be updated or should I just take this into a repair shop.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Don't know if anything like that exists. Why not just go to www.dell.com, Support section, and see if there is a BIOS update for that machine? Use the Service Tag for easier searching.

Dell may do that. Reinstall Vista (or Recover to factory defaults) if that was not done and then get and install the latest drivers from Dell's site. Install the chipset first.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the model name and model number of that Dell laptop?

What's the "service tag" number and/or "express service code" number on it?

A repair shop is probably not going to resolve your BIOS and upgrade issues, and it may cost you more than what that laptop is worth.

----------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1117022

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice