1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Updating BIOS

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by lschul, Jan 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

I have a laptop in the shop and one of the things the tech is doing is updating the BIOS, he said they were way out of date. It got me to wondering, should I be updating BIOS on my other computer? is it something I can do? I don't really understand that part.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Check the PC (or motherboard) manufacturer's web site to see if there is a firmware update for the BIOS. If there is read the notes to see if you think that the fixes or improvements are worth it. Updating the firmware is doing a brain transplant so in the unlikely event that something goes wrong there will probably be no recovery.

Yes, you can probably do it, depending on the procedure given.

3. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

How do I find out who made the MB? I am really in the dark here.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1118567

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice