1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Updating bios

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tumababa, Mar 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tumababa

Tumababa Thread Starter

I want to update my bios to see if that helps my rebooting problems(See thread below). The only problem is, I'm unsure which upgrade is for my bios. I have an AX4TII mobo. When I run the app HWInfo32 I get this info on my bios:

Vendor: Award software international
    Version: 6.00 PG
    Release date: 01/02/2002
    Start Segment: E000
    Size: 512 KBytes

This link is to my mobo's site and their bios drivers:

http://club.aopen.com.tw/downloads/...eyword&sel=category&optionfun=typefun&first=1

Which one is mine?

2. Tumababa

Tumababa Thread Starter

Nevermind. I found it.

3. Tumababa

Tumababa Thread Starter

Actually, I might need some help here after all. What I downloaded off the site is a bin file and an executable. When I ran the exe it asked me for a file name so I gave it the bin file(It had the model number of my mobo and the updated bios number) but when I rebooted I still get AX4TII R1.0 instead of AX4TII R1.3. What gives?

4. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, Was the flash or update successful? Was yours the kind where you have to wait for a signal, beeps, or the floppy drive light to come on and go off?

5. Tumababa

Tumababa Thread Starter

It was unsuccesful because I needed to do it in dos(Ah! It's amazing what you can discover on you own!). I rebooted in dos and ran the flash but it told my I have the wrong bios for my mobo. How is that even possible? If I'm using the wrong update could someone please correct me?

6. Byteman

Hi, Yes, I see now....well, I guess you could re-download the files, and make sure you perform the flash exactly as the instructions tell you to....just one letter or space wrong will stop it from running....also, you need to know the Revision number of your board, as they may have different files for each revision. Call or email the site tech people, they might have a quick answer.

7. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Be very careful in flashing the bios, if you do it wrong or use the wrong one, you could ruin your motherboard. I don't think flashing the bios is going to solve any rebooting problem :(

8. Byteman

Hi, I am posting these links for you, don't know if you have them.
    http://english.aopen.com.tw/tech/

Also....see the number of different motherboards, all AX4T-II, but with the 133 or 533 after? Any of those what you have?
    Also- you may be able to see the Revision number you have on your screen when you bootup- you can hit the Pause key to freeze that screen so you can copy info down easier.
    You always need the correct Revision number of the board to get proper flash files. Use the links above the download area, to read manuals, info about how to flash. Print the instructions if you need or want to, it's a big help.

As AcaCandy said above it is very risky to do.
    Doesn't seem like that problem you mentioned alone would call for a BIOS flash....was a flash reccommended to fix your specific problem?

9. Tumababa

Tumababa Thread Starter

Well I don't seem to have any other options availiable at the moment so I'm basically going through my hardware... ALL my hardware and making sure it is updated and all that jazz. I've been posting here quite a while(months) and haven't been able to get this problem licked.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/125394

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice