1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Updating BIOS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AndreL, Dec 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AndreL

AndreL Thread Starter

I have:
    American Megatrends
    BIOS date: 04/25/01
    BIOS ID: 62-0425-001437-00101111-071595-SiS730S-M810LR
    Chip Set: SiS 730 rev 2
    CPU: AMD 1.2 GH

What do I need to update my BIOS

Thanks in Adv...

2. joeh9

joeh9

Usually you download a small file from your motherboard manufacturer's website, save it onto a floppy disk and then when your computer boots up you should have the option to press a key (alt+f2 for example) and 'flash' your BIOS.

3. cnimbus

cnimbus Banned

To update the motherboard BIOS, you will need the new BIOS image file and an uploader utility.

AIDA32 or the DOS version of Hwinfo (run after booting from a boot floppy) should tell you the motherboard manufacturer and possibly the model. This info should also be silkscreened somewhere on the motherboard.

If your system is from Dell, HP or Compaq, be sure to get the BIOS update utility and image file from them, not the motherboard manufacturer. Also, when updating the BIOS, save a copy of the current BIOS to a floppy diskette, if the upload utility allows this. That way if anything goes wrong after uploading the new BIOS version, you can restore the BIOS to its original version.

IMPORTANT! Back up your data before upgrading the BIOS. Better safe than sorry.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Why are you updating your bios? Bios updates are done for a reason such as newer processor support, support larger hd, etc. There is no need to update a bios unless there is a problem [that the update addresses] Go the mgf of your mb / computer and there should be detailed instructions on how to update your bios.

The reason you do not update just because there is a new bios is that a bad flash can render your computer unbootable.

5. foreverland

foreverland

I have an incredibly similar set up (BIOS and MB). My old hard drive (40gig) died and my new one (80gig) is only reading at 32.2gigs. A friend of mine says that updating the BIOS should fix it. So I looked into it. AMI doesn't have the update for my system, so their site sent me to www.esupport.com
    I checked out that site and they don't offer the actual downloads there. They make you send in your system specs along with contact info and then they just started spamming my email with requests for me to call some guy named Gene. I also noticed on their site that they offered 'discounts' for certain updates, which led me to believe that Gene would be bugging me for some money for this update.

So my questions are:

1) Is esupport.com my only option?
    2) If not, where can I get a BIOS update, preferably for free?
    3) And if esupport.com is my only option, are they credible?

Thanks!

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Post exact make and model of computer or if it is a custom built box the make and model of mb along with version number. We will see if an update is available.

7. foreverland

foreverland

OKay here goes:

BIOS Type: American Megatrends

BIOS Date: 07/12/01

BIOS ID: 62-0712-001437-00101111-071595-SiS730S-M810LR

Motherboard: SiS 730S

Version: 5.0

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That is the chipset not the motherboard. We need the mgf of your board. It will be something like Asus, Abit, ECS, etc. SiS is who made the chipset on the board. A bios update is downloaded from the mgf's site.

9. foreverland

foreverland

My mistake! It's a PCWare M810LMR Integrated Motherboard...or at least that's what the packing slip says. If that's still not right then I'll need some guidance as to how to find out what kind of motherboard it is. Thanks!

10. Ronnie151

Ronnie151

yes gene will wont 49.99 for a bios update

11. codejockey

codejockey

I've dealt with esupport in the past, and based on my experience, would not recommend them. I purchased a BIOS upgrade from them for my (relatively ancient) motherboard. After re-flashing the BIOS, I had all of the same problems that I did originally, in particular, inability to boot with a hard drive larger than 32 Mbytes installed (system booted fine without drive, and had been in use without problems for years). Their technical support was terrible -- no real suggestions (except to buy more hardware from them to solve the problem), no guidance on what could be causing the problem, etc. In short, I wasted my time, effort and money -- but fortunately, I had paid with my credit card, and was able to recover the cost.

So what did I do? As it turned out, I found an upgrade free on the internet (after my experience with esupport) -- which worked perfectly, first time. The reps at esupport are happy to sell you products/services, but as far as I can see, they don't deliver. They are salespersons, not technicians -- and the tech support engineers are the salespersons who didn't make it. Stay away.

Now, a few bits that may be helpful: your M810LMR motherboard is built by either ASUS or PCChips. If ASUS, you can find the latest BIOS at http://www.asrock.com.tw/support/download/dl_m810lmr.htm#bios. If PCChips, the following page has a wealth of info: http://radel.inet.net.nz/m810lmr.html#bios

Hope this helps.

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That model number comes up as either PCChips, or Asrock [which is mgf by pcchips] open up the case and see if you can find a mgfs name and version number on the board itself.

Why are you updating the bios? A bios is updated for a reason such as larger hd support, to support faster processor, etc. What exactly is the problem you are trying to fix?

13. foreverland

foreverland

Well I opened up the computer and I couldn't find much. It doesn't say who manufactured it, but PC Chips sounds familiar, I kinda remember something about PC Chips from another time I was having 'puter problems. As for the version number, all I could find was something printed on the corner of the board that said "Rev 5.0". So the best of my knowledge it's a PC Chips board version 5.0...

As for the purpose for updating, check my first post. I have a different hard drive that I used to that is twice the capasity of it's predicesor, and it's being read at 32.2GB instead of 80GB

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Looks like your bios file is located here

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/185206

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice