1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

updating BIOS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MongooseDog, Aug 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MongooseDog

MongooseDog Thread Starter

I just got a 250Gb Western Digital Hard Drive and it is read by the computer but it won't let me access it. I was told that updating the BIOS might help, but i am not sure how to accomplish this. If you have any other idea on what might help or how to update the BIOS plese let me know. Thanks in advance for any help given
    Stephen

2. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Can you tell us what the make and model # of your motherboard is?
    Or give us a PC brand and model number.

You can usually find BIOS updates and directions at the manufacturer's Support website.

Also, what version of Windows are you using?
    A HDD that large requires WinXP w SP1 or Win2K w SP4+

3. cnclathrop

cnclathrop

is the drive formatted ? does the bios recognize it as a 250gig ?

4. MongooseDog

ok sorry for the slow reply. my BIOS type is American Megatrends and it is lisenced to Intel. The chip set is Intel 2530 rev 4. Someone else said i needed to buy an upgrade but that was for $50. Also some I know just updated their's for free but i can't figure out how to do this for mine. I hope some of this information is helpful.
    Thanks
    Stephen

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

6. MongooseDog

Well now John this is an neat program thanks. Ok my MoBo is an Intel Maryville D850MV and the BIOS date is 01/07/02. Oh and i went to the site that that program gave me and my motherboard is not on the list. That seems like a bad thing. Ok i take that back it was retired and said they do not do updates for it anymore. Now I am sad. I hope that info is what you needed.
    Thanks
    Stephen

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    When the computer boots up does it show the hard drive as detected and if so what size does it say it is?

If it recognises the drive then you need to partition and format the drive before you can use it.

In XP, which I'm guessing you have, go to Control Panel -> Administrative tools - > Computer Management -> Disk management and there you can partition and format it.

You need Service Pack 1 for XP to create a single partition with a size of more then 127GB.

This board does support 48bit Addressing for Hard drives and should support dirves greater then 127GB. You may however need the latest BIOS update from Intel - but it is free.

8. MongooseDog

Thanks I did that but it. Still only wants to recognize only 137 GB. How do I tell if my XP home is service pack 1?
    Thanks
    Stephen

9. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Right click on My Computer and select Properties.

On the General tab in the System: section it should say Service Pack 1 under Microsoft Windows XP

10. MongooseDog

Ok well It is version 2002 so i guess i need to upgrade my OS thanks everyone. Off to get Pro.
    Thanks
    Stephen

11. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I suspect a BIOS date of 01/07/02 will not support 48bit LBA, that change happened during 2002. That would be the first thing I'd try to address...

12. MongooseDog

So do you think i should just get a new MoBo.
    Thanks Stephen

13. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

2002 = Windows XP

I don't think it matters if it's the Home or Professional version. You just need to download and install Service Pack 1 from Microsoft.

Go to: Start > Programs
    There should be a Windows Update icon at the top to take you to the MS site.

14. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/258757

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice