1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Updating BIOS

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by gutterbird, Sep 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gutterbird

gutterbird Thread Starter

Question,
    I am upgrading my system from Windows 98 to XP Pro, Full (clean) install. I plan on wiping everything out on the hard drive and start from scratch. Is it necessary to update the BIOS, and if so, where do I find the update? The computer I am upgrading was put together by a local person and he is no longer around, so there is no manufacturer's website to go to and I am not for sure who made the motherboard.

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

It is a good idea to run the Compatibility wizard on the XP Disc prior to installing . . it will tell you what hardware and software is compatible. ( Insert the XP disc while the system is on and choose "Check for Compatibility" )

I like to update to the newest BIOS when I Upgrade a pc to XP, but it is not a exercize to be undertaken lightly . . I use a UPS to prevent a power loss from converting the machine into a trotline weight . .

You can download and run the Belarc Advisor or Everest to find out what MotherBoard you have ( and a lot of other details about the system as well )

Good luck . .

3. Old Rich

Old Rich

To run the compatibility wizard . . Insert the XP disc while the system is on and choose "Check for Compatibility"

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

It is rarely necessary to update the BIOS. If you find an update, read the release notes to see what changes have been made to the BIOS in the update. If none of the changes applies to you, don't take an unnecessary risk.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!