1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Updating BIOS?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Zenoxio, Jul 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zenoxio

Zenoxio Thread Starter

I need to upgrade my BIOS in an attempt to hopefully fix my new video card. I have a Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A05. Anyone know where to get the updates and how to do them? My computer is Dell Dimension 2400. Thanks.

Oh and I don't have a floppy drive. So I'm not sure how to update the BIOS without one.

2. sockey99

sockey99

Dell only removed the floppy drive and ribbon cable. You should still have the floppy socket on the motherboard and power connector from the power supply. Remove your case cover, barrow a fpy and ribbon from another computer and make a temp. instillation and flash as mormal. Naturally all rules about poking around inside a chassis apply.
    Does the new Bios say that it adds support for your new fid card? If not. don't think that's the problem.What was old fid, what is new fid?

3. Zenoxio

Zenoxio Thread Starter

4. sockey99

sockey99

I'm suggesting that you install a temp fpy drive and you them use the standard flash method from fpy disks. Download the new bios file and the flash installer. Copy to a startup disk and run the flash. Than remove the temp fpl drive and reinstall the case cover.
    If you have never reflashed a bios chip before, stop now.
    Do a Goggle search for "How to reflash a bios chip" and read all of them.
    Have you tried the latest drivers from nVidea.com, not the cd that came with the card?

5. Zenoxio

Zenoxio Thread Starter

Yes, I did update my video cards drivers.

Install a temp floppy drive? It's not like I have one lying around somewhere. I don't think I'm going to go out and buy one just for this either... There has to be an alt solution.

6. sockey99

sockey99

CD burner? Load the files onto a Bootable CD. Go into system set up and make sure the CD is the first boot Device.

7. Zenoxio

Zenoxio Thread Starter

8. Old Rich

Old Rich

Yes you do . .

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!