1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Updating Bios

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by dirrtyjohn, Jun 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dirrtyjohn

dirrtyjohn Thread Starter

Board: ECS K7S5A 1.0
    Bus Clock: 66 megahertz
    BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 07.00T 04/02/01

Thats my motherboard spec, i recently aquired a amd athlon 3000+ but my bios only sees it as a 1500 / 2100 + so want to update my bios but am very unsure and wary on doing so, from the official site ive found the utility and update but as my bios version says 1.0 and the update only says 3.0 and above im not sure if itll work, does anyone know what i should do?

Thnak John

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

3. dirrtyjohn

Its not running at 2.6 though, my bios screen displays it as AMD(UnknowAMD) athlon 1500+ and in the bios menu it says its a duron processor when i know for a fact its a athlon 3000+ as i took it from an existing system.

4. DaveBurnett

Your BIOS version is too old to show the correct chip or to run at a high enough speed.
    You should update to the latest Cheepoman BIOS that allows higher FSBs and reports the correct CPU

5. dirrtyjohn

Thats what i thought, im still a little wary of updating my bios though, im new to it as as far as i can tell if i mess it up, my motherboard is shot to bits then, and not keen on that happening.
    Do you know which version are stable and which ones i should download and install? i dont have a built in network adapter so assume i need to disable LAN in the bios ( not sur ewhy this is though) and theres a option for "LAN or w/o LAN" and i assume it refers to wether i have a built in network adapter or not, and theres an option for "w/fastwrites" and i dont know what this means, which version should i have a go with and do you know if there is any way to back up my bios in case of mishaps on my part? is there a different bios download for different version motherboards? 3.1 / 3.2 ect or will they all work fine on all?

6. DaveBurnett

The BIOS update program backs up the old one for you.
    The versions are the same for the With LAN or without LAN. I have one of each ( the Pro version) and they both have the same BIOS then none lan board just Loses the code.
    They are all stable. There is a different one for the the different revisions but it DOES show you on the second page I pointed you to (you want the 1.0/3.0 one).
    w/fastwrites indicates where the BIOS defaults to Fast Write or not. I use the one with, but I suggest you try the one without first.

The AMI Bios update program is fairly easy to use. You MUST create a Dos Floppy to use it.

7. dirrtyjohn

What does it mean by fast write though? as in writing to the hard disk quicker than normal? and is it ok just to use the latest ami flash utility? amin342 and then just use the cheepo file instead of the other i have from ecs website?

8. dirrtyjohn

Cheers for all your advice Dave, ive formatted the floppy and put everything on there as instructed, im a systems engineer and been told my one of y collegues that it doesnt have to be a DOS utility but i dont want to tell them how old my Motherboard is lol im at work at the mo so will let you know of the results tomorrow sometime
    Thanks again

John

9. DaveBurnett

They are not lying, but it should be one. You want as little running as possible whilst updating the BIOS.
    In fact you CAN get away with just the BIOS file if you call it AMIBIOS.BIN (or something similar- I'd have to look it up) as AMI BIOSes will read the file from floppy if you hold down F12 whilst cold booting.

10. dirrtyjohn

Im ok for now, the other files on the floppy are display. ega2.cpi, ega3.cpi, ega4.cpi, keyb, keyboard, keybrd2, keybrd3, keybrd4, mode. which i assume are all driver for the keyboard, disply and mouse so ill just leave it as it is at the moment and get to grips wit it

11. DaveBurnett

all you need is
    IO.SYS which must be put there with FORMAT /S or the SYS command and NOT subsequently moved, COMMAND.COM, a dummy MSDOS.SYS, the AMIBIOS Utility snd the BIOS.BIN file

12. dirrtyjohn

Ive succesfully done it, i just left all the iems on the floppy and booted from it, the first time i tried loading the cheepo bios update it told me error 5 different bios size or something similar but tried again without rebooting and it worked a treat, my bios now sees the athlon xp 3000+ and whilst i had gotten used to the 100/100100/133 133/133 options to speed up the processor there is now about ten different options, i tried running it at 160/160 but it wouldnt even boot so reset the bios and running it and 157/157 now i think, thanks for the help so far and any ideas about the above? i want it to run as quickly as possible.

13. DaveBurnett

You would probably have to increase the voltage a bit to get it up to 160 and it could well affect the PCI devices.
    I cannot remember offhand and I'm in the middle of a big download at the moment, but you want to set the PCI/memory speed to 133 and the CPU speed to as high as possible and I think anything above 160 or 166 can only be done with software speed changes.

Its all on that site I pointed you at.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/579589

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice