Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Updating bios

864 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  crjdriver 
#1 ·
I am thinking of upgrading my pc by putting an Intel E8200 cpu with an ASUS P5E x38.

Im just wondering if this is as straightforward as I think because I read somewhere that most of the x38 motherboards are not updated for the latest E8+ cpu`s.

If this is so, does anyone know how to resolve this problem?

#2 ·
You need bios 502 or newer to support that cpu. First and foremost, read your manual as to bios updates.
Next asus usually offers a multitude of methods to update your bios;
1 Asus update [I DO NOT like updating from within windows]
2 From the bios menu under tools; many modern asus boards will let you update right from the bios menu
3 Using EZ flash. Note this is the same as the bios method; you just access the flash utility by hitting the ALT>F2 keys on bootup.
4 The traditional boot disk method.

I tried to download the manual for your board however the asus site was soooo slow I gave up. Again read your manual.

#3 ·
OK, I was able to download the manual from another site and yes you do have all of those methods to update your bios. FWIW I would use the ez flash to update the bios. It is easier than using the old floppy boot disk method.

Updating the bios is not difficult however do read and follow the instructions exactly. An incorrect flash can render the board unbootable.

#4 ·
OK, I was able to download the manual from another site and yes you do have all of those methods to update your bios. FWIW I would use the ez flash to update the bios. It is easier than using the old floppy boot disk method.

Updating the bios is not difficult however do read and follow the instructions exactly. An incorrect flash can render the board unbootable.
Thanx for your speedy reply CRJ`, I was wondering if you might post a link or at least the address of the site where you got the manual from. My board hasnt arrived yet and I would like a peek at what im dealing with; thanx in advance

#5 ·
You just download it from the asus site. Here is the asus page for your board just click the download link on the left side and then click manual. There are several sites to download the manual. I think the global site was the quick one.

If you buy all the parts from newegg, they often will flash the bios for you if you are buying a board and cpu that need the latest bios. I know they used to do this when they were a smaller company; I do not know if they still do however you might give them a call and check.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.