1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Updating BIOS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by edg16, Jan 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. edg16

edg16 Thread Starter

I need to update my BIOS. It is American Megatrends Inc. 1009.003, 9/5/2005. I went to the American Megatrends website, but couldn't find what I needed. How should I go about this?

2. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

3. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

You would need to go to the PC manufacturers website for a bios upgrade, that is if it is a Dell, HP, Sony, ect.

If it is a custom built PC, then you need to go to the motherboard manufacturers website to get the bios update.

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

Do not attempt to update your BIOS unless the update solves a specific problem you are encountering.

5. edg16

edg16 Thread Starter

My computer is custom-built, and the motherboard is by ASUS. I downloaded the bios file, which has the .rom extension, but it won't open on my machine. What software does it require?

6. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, before you do anything, you need to do some reading and learning about bios updates.

First of all, do not update a bios unless that update has a fix you need. There is no need to have the latest and greatest bios. A bios update is not difficult however there is a chance of a corrupted flash or update. In that case, your mb is now unbootable until you replace the bios chip or install a new mb.

FWIW I never use the asus windows utility to flash a bios on an asus board. Use the ez flash that is built into the bios. Note read through the bios updates carefully. In some cases, you must update bios in order ie if you have bios A1, do not flash directly to A9; update to A7 then A9. Again if this pertains to you, it will be included in the release notes for the bios;.

8. edg16

edg16 Thread Starter

This is the message I have been getting, which appears on a blue screen:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the Stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.
    Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:
    *** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, OxF794EB60, 0xF794EC^C, 0xF794E968)

Beginning dump of physical memory
    Physical memory dump complete.
    Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

So why do you think a bios update will fix this issue?

10. edg16

edg16 Thread Starter

Because the message says "Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates."

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Was it working OK before ie did it ever work with your current bios?

Have you added any new hardware OR changed any bios settings?

Updating the bios would be about the last thing I would do AFTER all other options have been checked. If you wonder why, just do a search for failed bios updates and you will see the reason.

12. elee

elee

Look up PFN_LIST_CORRUPT with a Google search for details of what it means and what is the likely cause.

It is not caused by the BIOS!!

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/899053

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice