Status
Not open for further replies.

updating bios

2K views 29 replies 6 participants last post by  crjdriver 
#1 ·
i have a nvidia geforce 9600 gt grahic card 1gb ddr3

i just wanna update its bios.
just to fix bugs.

plz tell me from where to download bios update?

#9 ·
Like everyone else advised. DON'T DO IT Upgrading the bios of the card could seriously damage the card. If something goes wrong, not only is the MFGW not going to cover it, but you will be forced to buy a new one. If you want to increase your cards performance look into SLI or Cross fire.

#10 ·
If updating the BIOS on a video card was a common thing then all manufacturer's would post updates, and currently almost none do. Post a few links where this is suggested.

Motherboard BIOS's are posted for boards but usually add new CPU support or fix known problems with the motherboard - they almost never improve performance; those too are risky and not recommended unless they address your specific issue.

#11 ·
i just didnt read at one place but at many places.

i know i shouldnt fix it until its broken.

but i should also want to increase performance of my graphic card.

if updating bios is the way then i would probably wana do this.
Updating the BIOS is not likely to help anything and may end up making the card (or your computer) useless. Performance is dependent more on hardware type than anything else. In any case, you will most likely not be able to even try since there will be no updates released.

#12 ·
Graphics cards don't have a BIOS similar to a computer motherboard; though they do have FPGA firmware. The firmware is usually updated using a JTAG or similar programming interface, but most card manufacturers don't make the code or the programming hardware and software tools available to ordinary users.

If you contact the graphics card manufacturer technical support and explain that you are an electrical engineer trying to re-program the firmware to solve a specific problem... they might help you. No disrespect intended, but otherwise they are going to send you back to level 0 support.

#13 ·
Actually the cards firmware or BIOS can be easily update through Windows or a DOS boot disk. For example eVGA had an issue with the fan control on certain 8800GT's so they did release a BIOS to fix that, it was a very specific case. Even in that case it was advised there was risk and the alternative was to use software to control the fan speed.

#15 ·
after turning on computer,the first screen appears displaying my graphic card manufacturer and its bios version.

however it appears from the day i installed graphic card on my new pc.

just an idea came into my mind to check for bios update while surfing on net.

i searched on google and found many articles relating to it.

#17 ·
Where those articles suggest most performance come from when flashing the video card's BIOS is by flashing it with a modded BIOS with unlocked features or higher clock speeds - something that most cards do not support or is safer done by overclocking. The fact is its rare to find manufacturer's to put out new BIOS and when there are they fix a specific issue and offer no performance gains - just like when people cross flashed their 8800GT's to 9800GT's - no measurable gains.

#18 ·
i have sent e-mail to the thechnical support team of manufacturer.
they replied asking for pe number written on a green slip on card.
i told them the number and i m waiting for reply.

just asking other then bios update what else can i do to increae my graphic card performance.

#20 ·
just asking other then bios update what else can i do to increase my graphic card performance.
That is 3 generations old; it is fine for basic apps, email, etc however for the latest games at high res, it is somewhat lacking.

If you are running the cpu under your system specs, you might want to go with an upgrade. The 7400 only has 3meg of cache. Even going to something like an 8500 would double the cache. Next if you have a slow hard drive, going with a modern 32meg cache drive would help as well.

Post your exact system specs and we can let you know where you will get the most "bang for the buck"

#21 ·
i have core2 duo processor e7400

4gb ddr2 ram

500 gb hard disk.

and as u know 9600 gt graphic card.

bcz i dont have much knowledge abt graphic card,so i thought of starting with 9600 gt.

previously i used to play games on sony playstation.

the thing i know abt graphic card is that only 1 gb memory is neede dto paly all games.i m saying abt just graphic card requireemnts not others like direct x or orther configuration.

i m using windows 7 home premium genuine.

well i have almost all software to keep my pc running like reg cure,kis 2011,privacy controls.

#22 ·
True that 1GB is enough for most games, but the 9600GT is only a mid level graphics card. Here's some benchmarks from last year that include the 9600GT: http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/gaming-graphics-cards-charts-2009-high-quality/benchmarks,74.html
You can also compare it the newer charts which does not have the 9600GT on it but the 9600GT should fall in between the GT240 and 9800GT: http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2010-gaming-graphics-charts-high-quality/benchmarks,107.html

P.S. Reg Cure is junk.

#24 ·
All reg cleaners/fixers are junk. You can do a clean install of windows and then run one of the many reg cleaners and it will find "Errors"

It is a waste of time and money [if you paid for the app] to run a reg cleaner.

#26 ·
They really aren't problems that affect the computer's operation that these things "fix", more people have broken their computers using registry scanners then fixed them. Registry scanners are an easy money grab since every computer may have keys flagged as "broken", the registry scanners never fix real issues that require users to manually alter/delete keys to actually fix a real problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.