1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

updating bios

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by riskyifzal, Jun 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. riskyifzal

riskyifzal Thread Starter

i have a nvidia geforce 9600 gt grahic card 1gb ddr3

i just wanna update its bios.
    just to fix bugs.

plz tell me from where to download bios update?

2. riskyifzal

i have looked in manufacturer website but nothings there
    galaxytech.com
    thats the manufacturer

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Most manufacturers do not release BIOS updates for video cards, and the few that do only address very specific issues and not general bug fixes.

Bug fixes for games and the such are usually done through drivers, go to the www.nvidia.com website and download the latest drivers.

4. riskyifzal

graphic card drivers.

other then graphic card drivers
    do i have to download any other drivers?
    if there may be some?

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Only if you are having driver problems. What are the problems?

6. riskyifzal

well i m having no graphic drivers problem, i have downloaded the latest version of graphic drivers recently.and they installed correctly.

just read somewhere for better performance and stability i should upgrade my bios.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You read wrong.

8. riskyifzal

i just didnt read at one place but at many places.

i know i shouldnt fix it until its broken.

but i should also want to increase performance of my graphic card.

if updating bios is the way then i would probably wana do this.

9. fodelement

fodelement

Like everyone else advised. DON'T DO IT Upgrading the bios of the card could seriously damage the card. If something goes wrong, not only is the MFGW not going to cover it, but you will be forced to buy a new one. If you want to increase your cards performance look into SLI or Cross fire.

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If updating the BIOS on a video card was a common thing then all manufacturer's would post updates, and currently almost none do. Post a few links where this is suggested.

Motherboard BIOS's are posted for boards but usually add new CPU support or fix known problems with the motherboard - they almost never improve performance; those too are risky and not recommended unless they address your specific issue.

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

Updating the BIOS is not likely to help anything and may end up making the card (or your computer) useless. Performance is dependent more on hardware type than anything else. In any case, you will most likely not be able to even try since there will be no updates released.

12. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Graphics cards don't have a BIOS similar to a computer motherboard; though they do have FPGA firmware. The firmware is usually updated using a JTAG or similar programming interface, but most card manufacturers don't make the code or the programming hardware and software tools available to ordinary users.

If you contact the graphics card manufacturer technical support and explain that you are an electrical engineer trying to re-program the firmware to solve a specific problem... they might help you. No disrespect intended, but otherwise they are going to send you back to level 0 support.

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Actually the cards firmware or BIOS can be easily update through Windows or a DOS boot disk. For example eVGA had an issue with the fan control on certain 8800GT's so they did release a BIOS to fix that, it was a very specific case. Even in that case it was advised there was risk and the alternative was to use software to control the fan speed.

14. riskyifzal

15. riskyifzal

after turning on computer,the first screen appears displaying my graphic card manufacturer and its bios version.

however it appears from the day i installed graphic card on my new pc.

just an idea came into my mind to check for bios update while surfing on net.

i searched on google and found many articles relating to it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/930322

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice