updating compaq 6016us cpu

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

larry101

hello!
i have 3 compaq presarios, 2 6016us (1800) and 1 6430nx (2600).
i want to upgrade the cpu's to amd 3000 barton chips.
has anyone done this? does it work? my understanding is that it is possible, but that i would have to flash the bios. can i flash the bios? how do i do that for these machines? do i need to be concerned about more heat generation or will the factory heat sink work well enough? should i add a fan? if so, what kind? would i need to upgrade the power supply units?
thanks in advance.
larry

Triple6

First Name
Rob
Have you contacted Compaq for help? They may tell you what processors their system can take, if any. For the second system it wouldn't be worth the money to go from a XP2600+ to a XP3000+.

You should also realise that going from a 266Mhz FSB to a 333Mhz or 400Mhz FSB will require you to get faster memory to match or exceed the FSB speed. IF not then you'll loose some of the advantage of the faster processors.

Compaq's aren't the most upgradeable systems and its not easy to find out what processors can be used in AMD systems. As for the heatsink, it may be adequate. You may also have the choise of using the stock Compaq heatsink or the heatsink that comes with the new CPU(if it comes with one). If the temps happen to be too high then you can go out and buy a new heatsink/fan.

How to update the BIOS? Have you visited the Compaq website? They provide any BIOS updates and generally have instructions too.

And the power supply's are rarely standard, generally because the Compaq cases aren't standard ATX design. So you may be stuck with the original 250 Watt Compaq power supply or you have to replace the case. Replacing the case may cause you to lose any front connectors like audio and USB jacks. If the cases happen to accept a standard ATX power supply then your lucky.

In reality if you want to do all these upgrades your gonna spend a lot of money on something that will still be a Compaq.

And lastly...DON'T HIJACK OTHER PEOPLE'S THREADS.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online