1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Updating firmware on Netgear DG834G

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Tanis, Jan 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tanis

Tanis Thread Starter

First Name:
    Shane
    Hi one and all,

I am trying to update the firmware on my Netgear DG834G wireless ADSL Modem / Router and having some problems. The router was originally supplied by Virgin when I was using them as an ISP several years ago (which may well be a contributing factor in the problem).

The firmware is well out of date so I thought I would update it to take advantage of any improvements, however it fails to update everytime I try. I have tried the reset utility provided by Netgear (can't remember exactly what it was called now as I am at work) and that wouldn't even see the router when I tried to run it.

I am trying to do it via my Toshiba Satellite Pro A120 laptop which has a wired connection to the router (all other machines in the house are wireless). It can acess the internet fine, access the router setup information and change it all OK, just won't update the firmware.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to do some form of hard reset with the latest firmware version.

Thanks

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
  3. Tanis

Tanis Thread Starter

First Name:
    Shane
    I suspected that as a possibility, but thought I would ask the community as you never know what information someone may have come across.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!