Updating HP1100Ase Printer Software for XP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Jimtalbert

Has anyone tried to install from the HP CD-ROM the new XP software for an HP1100Ase printer/scanner? The setup.exe program runs fine on my Win98 PC but not on my WINXP PC. I get a message about Director Player 6.0 saying "This program requires at least 3MB of free virtual memory to run." When I click on OK nothing else happens. The PC has 1GB of RAM and Norton System Doctor indicates that 700MB+ is available. Of course HP support is unavailable on weekends.

S

Slithy Tove

I assume you are running the "98" setup on the W98 machine and the XP setup on the XP machine. Almost all drivers come in different flavors, each for a specific OS (though many 9x drivers are compatible within the 9x family and NT drivers are compatible within the NT family). Be sure and verify that you're loading software on the correct platform.

Jimtalbert

Hi, Slithy. Thanks for your response. I'm a very unsophisticated PC user. I put the CD into the drive and, if it doesn't start on its own (which they usually don't on my PCs), I use the Add Programs function to install the software. Is that using the correct platform?

S

Slithy Tove

Possibly, possibly not. You really must be sure you are not trying to load a driver meant for W98 onto a XP machine and vice versa. I don't know exactly how to tell you to identify the software either. You could open notepad, drag the inf file into it, and have a look - but you'd probably be lucky to figure out what OS is required. You should look for ".doc" and "readme" files on the CD and check them out. You should read any instructions/documentation which came with the CD. If you try to load a driver on the wrong OS I would expect it to fail - I am just not sure what kind of error you might see - could be anything from a very clear error message to an obscure program failure. But, I am almost positive you cannot use the same hardware driver on both the XP box and the W98 box.

Open Windows Explorer and scan the CD - you might spot something which gives you a clue. Do NOT double-click anything you are not sure of.

btw- "platform" refers to the PC and it's OS (or other software). In your case, for example, the "98" platform or the "XP" platform.

Jimtalbert

See the final resolution in my post "Director Player 6.0" under 'other software'.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online