1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Updating my BIOS....how do I

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PaveFE, Aug 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PaveFE

PaveFE Thread Starter

Hey all,

I have the MSI K7N2 Delta mobo, which is supposed to have a 400FSB, but when I set it up in the BIOS, it will only go to 200. I saw an update on MSI for that board, which I think may fix that problem, so I downloaded it to my desktop. How do I go about applying the update? I didn't want to just double click the file and see what it does, instead, I decided I should ask the experts here at TSG first.

Thanks,

PaveFE

2. 4steve44

4steve44

Well I'm no expert but I am an ex pert. I did a flash update for my bois and what I did was shut down the system insert the floppy with the update and turned system back on. It will boot to the floppy and flash the bios. When it is done take out the floppy and restart you system and hope for the best :eek:

3. PaveFE

PaveFE Thread Starter

That doesn't sound very reasurring :eek:

4. 4steve44

4steve44

Messing around this flashing the bios IS a messing business. It can be done sucsessfully with care. Most people that have posted this subjsect do cross there virtual fingers. :) Does MSI have a step by step that you would feel better about?

5. PaveFE

PaveFE Thread Starter

Still looking

6. tdi_veedub

tdi_veedub

There should be no need to flash the BIOS unless you pick up some incompatible hardware, which is quite rare. Unless there is a bug that causes strange behaviour, then it is not needed. It's not worth the risk.

7. Arky

Arky

8. leoneire

leoneire

Dont dont dont dont...I know everybody wants the newest and best updated version of everything! But in my experience updating your BIOS just messes your computer up big time! If your system is running ok leave your BIOS setting alone! There fine the way they are!

9. PaveFE

PaveFE Thread Starter

Understand the part that if everything is running ok, then leave it alone. But, I paid for a board that runs at 400MHz Front Side Bus, and from what I can tell, it is only running at 200. The BIOS update I downloaded seems to fix this problem. Here's what it lists on MSI:
    -Support AMD XP3200+ (FSB400) CPU
    -Modify CPU temperature detection
    -Fixed Kingston KVR333 memory cannot be used

When I'm in the BIOS, I can only adjust up to 200.

10. Arky

Arky

The advice of a true sage! Nothing is more indicative of the inexperience of the advice giver than when the advice is "format the disk" or "flash the BIOS". Either of these actions are to be taken only if you understand why you need them and how to do them. Either will reduce your computer to heap of useless parts that is painful and expensive to recover to a useful device. See my previous post for really expert advice.

11. tdi_veedub

tdi_veedub

If you have to flash the BIOS to achieve the specifications that the board maker boasts, then it is not a worthy board to purchase.

Anyways, opinions aside, just be very careful, or you will have 0Mhz FSB :eek: MSI should have a utility to make it quite painless.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/264665

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice