Updating my PC for gaming, budget: 500 USD

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

wert001

I'd like to update my desktop PC for gaming, but I don't know much about system specs. My maximum budget is 500 USD/300 GBP including shipping/transport, etc. I live in the UK (London, England), so if possible I'd like to buy from UK sites/stores in order to avoid shipping costs.

Current system:

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9400 @ 2.66 GHz (4 CPUs)
4 GB RAM
DirectX 11
NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Unfortunately it's a Dell (I was stupid computer-wise some years ago), so I supppose I won't be able to overclock.

Thanks a lot for your help. :)

Tanis

Shane
Hi and welcome to TSG.

There are quite a few UK users on here, so rather than converting the USD budget can you give an actual GBP budget? :)

What level of gaming are we talking about here, are you wanting to play the latest games?

Graphics card update is the most obvious choice, however that will likely also require a PSU upgrade also. With it being a Dell (or any other brand made machine) the available physical space inside the case could also be a problem.

To get some ideas here are a couple of decent UK sites that I use fairly regularly:

www.aria.co.uk
www.ebuyer.co.uk
www.novatech.co.uk

wert001

Thanks for replying. :)

I don't seem to be able to edit the thread title, but I've edited the OP. My budget is 500 USD or 300 GBP.

I'll be going to uni for three years, starting in September, and if possible I'd like to be able to play all new games with high graphics settigns throughout that period. If needed I'll upgrade my PC again in three years, or buy a new one.

Is this graphics card decent?: http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...R5+PCI-Express+Graphics+Card+?productId=44455

Is this PSU good enough?: http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials...2+80PLUS+Bronze+Power+Supply+?productId=45459

Regards

Tanis

Shane
In my opinion, that card should give you a decent improvement over your current one. The PSU is a fairly decent one as far as I am concerned, I use OCZ units myself sometimes and haven't had any problems with them.

I would check that you physically have the room in your case for the card and make sure your current PSU is a standard ATX form factor unit. Unfortunately many 'big brand' manufacturers have a nasty habit of using proprietory components (non-standard sizes) and their cases won't hold the standard parts!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts