1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Updating Nvidia Riva TNT2 driver

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Marlingspike, Apr 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marlingspike

Marlingspike Thread Starter

I continue to get intermittent screen messages that I have a problem with my Nvidia graphics driver, occasionally causing shut downs and generating error messages to microsoft.
    Although possibly completely unrelated, I also find that my computer shuts down on its own if left alone about 30 minutes, and when turned back on, goes through an odd reboot on its own whcih returns me to where I was before leaving.
    The microsoft proposed solution is to download a new driver off the Nvidia website though they also say Nvidia has no solution to the problem. When I go to the Nvidia website, I can find a downloadable driver for XP. (www.nvidia.com/object/driver_installation_hints.html) , though the instructions request me to:
    1- disable download accelerator utilities ( How do I find if I have any? I recall loading one at one time, but can't remember if it was on this computer, or find anything suggesting this on my start menu)
    2-turn off my virus protection- can do
    3- remove Nvidia display drivers from the control panel using the add/remove function.- I can't find any. However, I do find reference to them in my systems folder listing a TNT2 nmodel V 5.6.7.3 dated 4/7/04. It seems odd that I have a listing in the latter, but not in the former. It also seems odd that they would request the removal of the old one first. Will my monitor work if its removed??
    Thanks for any assistance

2. dai

dai

d/l and save the driver to the desk top
    in the device manager uninstall the card
    reboot tapping f8 and choose vga mode
    when windows finishes booting and reinstalling the card
    disable a/virus
    install your drivers
    reboot the computer

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The latest driver that you want to install for the Nvidia Riva TNT2 graphic card with Windows XP is version 61.77, dated 07-27-2004.

Versions 66.93 through 84.21 will not install correctly because of the age of that graphic card.

You can download version 61.77 from here.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!