1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Updating OSX 10.7.5 on MBP mid 2010 to what

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by jldjs, Dec 6, 2017.

Advertisement
  1. jldjs

jldjs Thread Starter

i have a MBP mid 2010 with OS X 10.7.5 and want to upgrade to a new version of OS X . I was given this MBP and it runs well but I cannot update some SW because the OS X is too old. What version of OS X can I upgrade too? Do I download from App Store? I've backed up on Time Machine, anything else?

2. Sponsor

3. brooklynboy

brooklynboy

You should be able to update. It depends on your hardware. Click on the Apple at the top left. Next click on updates. That will give you a list of available updates for your MAC. You might have to upgrade to El Capitan first and then upgrade to Sierra or High Sierra.

Assuming you have a legally registered MAC and it is attached to your Apple ID, Apple will scan your computer automatically and then make the updates available. If the MAC is in someone else Apple ID, then you need to contact whomever you received the MAC from.

A alternative method would be to go to the App Store and click on Updates.

Hope this helps.

4. jldjs

jldjs Thread Starter

My son gave me the MBP, but updates is only showing an update for my printer, nothing for OSX! Have to check with him on changing the registration, although I was able to update Lion from 10.7.4 to 10.7.5 before. But, aside from that, I found DL's for El Capitan and Yosemite. If I DL one of these, does that just put a copy of the installer in my Application folder or will it also start the install? I want to delay the install till I understand if I can recover back to 10.7.5 from a Time Machine backup. I'm new to Mac and am not sure if the TIME machine backup I made is also a bootable version that will restore what I currently have. Any thoughts on this?

5. brooklynboy

brooklynboy

For your MBP, you should be able to upgrade to 10.8, Mountain Lion. You will probably need to install Mountain Lion before you can install El Capitan and Yosemite.

Go to MAC World. They have a interesting article on how to make a bootable USB installer for MAC.

https://www.macworld.com/article/11...e-a-bootable-mountain-lion-install-drive.html

Time Machine can be used to make copies of the system. Whether it can be used to restore a previous version of the OS is tricky. Some have had success and some haven't. Most recommendations are to use a utility program to make clone of your hard drive.

Did Lion come on a CD?

6. jldjs

jldjs Thread Starter

No, the CD I have is 10.6.3, so my son must have updated to Lion. I got it with 10.7.4 installed and updated to 10.7.5 shortly after getting it.
    "Most recommendations are to use a utility program to make clone of your hard drive." Like Carbon Copy Clone?
    Thanks for recommendation re MacWorld, I'll read it.

7. brooklynboy

brooklynboy

FYI, according to the Apple Community, you should be able to update directly to High Sierra. The general consensus is that Time Machine was not designed to make a bootable copy of the OS, just backup files.

Yes, Carbon Copy Clone is one..One last item, if you do upgrade, you might have to reinstall some programs asmost programs have updated drivers to use on High Sierra.

:)

8. jldjs

jldjs Thread Starter

I found a free version of 10.8.5 at Softonics, available for download. What's your opinion?
    Considering that El Capitan or High Sierra may require reinstalling some programs, perhaps I should just update to Mountain Lion for now.
    I have a 1TB external drive, partitioned half for macOS, the other half for Windows NT. Can I re-partition the MacOs portion, say halve again (256G), and DL the 10.8.5 version from Softonics to one half? What format will this DL have to be in to be installable? dmg? iso?
    Appreciate your help here. I'm still a newbie with macOS

9. brooklynboy

brooklynboy

I have never used CCClone so I really can't give an objective opinion. Perhaps some other member who has used CCCloner can give some advice on this topic. I do not clone my HD. I just do a time machine backup on my apps and files. I also save my photos, music, and any other files I deem important on iCloud. If need be, I simply restore.

If you repartion your drive, you would have to format the partition in the Apple format. Once you do that, you can download CCCloner (or whichever program you decide to use) and tell it to clone your HD to that partion.

Incidentally, if you do upgrade you can go to the App Store. Assuming you bought a program through the App Store, click on purchased and you will see a list of programs. To reinstall a program, simply click on reinstall.

I have never re partitioned a Apple disk. I have re partitioned a Linux disk. I would suggest you google repartion a Apple disk and see what comes back. Perhaps there is a member who has experience with this?

:)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!