1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Updating System Image File in Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Auldlangsyne, Aug 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Auldlangsyne

Auldlangsyne Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ian
    When I bought y new HP Pavilion All in One Desktop I created Recovery Disc and System Image file which I stored on an external hard drive. Since that is over a year ago I decided to update it.
    Initially I tried to overwrite the original and that failed so I have gone through a pile of checks (Checkdisc etc) then transferred the original file to another hard disc and formatted the original disc before trying to backup again but again it had failed.
    I have done the usual searches here and on Google and attempted a few of the suggestions given but all to no avail and have run out of ideas. I attach a screenshot of the failed back-up image.

Since I had no trouble with the original back-up I can't understand why it won't do it this time.

Could you also advise if I should only back up "C" which is the SSD disc or can I also back up "D" which is the Data file where I have more memory and therefore have stored some less used programmes.

Attached Files:

2. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

Just an alternate viewpoint...you can actually use disk imaging software other than the built-in version for Windows, and these will work well. For instance, I'm a fan of AOMEI Backupper, which has avery good freeware version, and I used it for imaging my SSD for the OS. I've found the built-in imaging software can be too inconsistent, hence me looking at an alternate solution.

If you have the storage space available on your backup medium, I'd suggest doing both drives.

Auldlangsyne likes this.
  3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

To add to the above, NO backup is worth anything until you validate your ability to restore said backup. We see a LOT of posters who made a backup then when they try and do the restore, it does not work.

I use acronis true image for cloning, imaging, etc. If one of your drives is a WD, you can download the WD version of acronis from the WD site.
    For linux systems, I use clonezilla. While clonezilla is NOT the easiest thing to use, it has never failed to restore an image.

4. Auldlangsyne

First Name:
    Ian
    Thank you for both responses. Though I'm quite good with day to day computing once I start with this stuff I get frustrated when it doesn't do what it says it will. I had heard of other back up software but just wasn't sure what I was looking for. The above gives me somewhere to go and I appreciate that. Certainly my last (rather expensive) Lenovo desktop went belly -up and wouldn't restore no matter what I tried so I understand what you say about Windows System Image.

I'll go and play around with both suggestions and again thank you for taking the time to answer me.

5. Auldlangsyne

First Name:
    Ian
    Lochlomonder's suggestion of using AOMEI Backupper appealed to me because it seemed to be almost idiot proof and I have managed to create the System Image backup easily using it so I thank you for that.

I full understand that if I have issues I can restore from this file quite easily but last time I had a problem I was left with a computer which wouldn't even go into safe mode so I ended up binning it. This is something that thankfully doesn't happen every day but can I assume that in the event of a major issue, I firstly reinstall to factory settings using the recovery files I have on disc and then use the system image back up to restore everything else. Can I also assume that if the computer is just acting weirdly but I can get into it I can just use the system image on it's own to restore back to a healthier time (i.e. last week). I also assume I should update the System Image file on a regular basis. I realise this would all be after trying system restore. After my failure to reinstall on the only time this has ever happened to me I would like to be sure I'm doing the right thing should it happen again.

I did not see any means to include the Data (D) file when making the image. It has a number of my bulkier programmes stored on it to free space on my SSD (C Drive). should I have been able to do that?

lochlomonder likes this.
  6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You do not need to use the recovery partition. The image file is an exact [well almost exact] copy of the system. Restoring an image puts the system back to how it was when the image was made. In fact if you restored using the recovery partition, it would be overwritten by the image restore.

As I said before, do not put too much faith in an image until you have validated your ability to restore the image. Just because you made the image does not mean it will restore without issues. We see a LOT of threads where someone has made an image and then cannot restore the image for one reason or another.

lochlomonder likes this.
  7. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

I concur with crjdriver's comments about the ability to restore images, and that's definitely worth testing out. If you're going to use AOMEI as a go-to app, just be sure you follow the instruction on how to create a boot disk for restoration. In general, I would also recommend reading through all their Help pages to familiarise yourself with the app's operations.

8. Auldlangsyne

First Name:
    Ian
    I appreciate your clear help with this. I'm good at what I'm good at but subjects I don't need on a regular basis leave me feeling like a novice again. I genuinely appreciate the time each of you have taken to help with this. Thanks.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1214597

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice