1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Updating the MBR

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by 011017, Jan 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor

on your last screenshot - on the interface of visual BCD
    click the ntldr entry on the left pane as that is the XP entry and send another screenshot please as the ntldr will then show in the main window

2. 011017

011017 Thread Starter

Here it is.

The Polish text says: "An earlier version of Windows".

ntldr.jpg

3. Macboatmaster

Cheers
    Before we proceed although the risk s small
    what backup do you have and are you content to continue accepting the risk

I would not even think of trying anything with such tools until I had all my personal data backed up and indeed my system image on my hard drive up to date

However presuming that you catered for such eventuality when first installing XP and then Ubuntu
    select the ntldr entry - right click and then click delete on the small window
    then select the loader entry and right click and click create new xp - then click OK on the small window re drive and path

Exit out of visual bcd reboot computer and all being well you will have not boot loader for windows10 or earlier systems OR it may say XP

I must stress now that this MAY not work. It cannot be guaranteed

4. 011017

011017 Thread Starter

It works now!

I did what you said, and after the reboot Windows 10 loaded as if I've changed nothing.

I decided to edit the New Xp Loader entry in Visual BCD from HarddiskVolume1[C:] to HarddiskVolume1[D:]
    The XP partition is marked D: in Disk Manager. It resulted in getting an option during the booting to choose between Windows 10 and New XP Loader but choosing the latter produced a black screen for a couple of seconds and then the laptop restarted and there was a full screen black & white error message. After that, I reverted the entry to C:.
    I was about to report to you that it's still not okay but then I decided to try it one last time and it seems to work now. When I choose XP it loads XP (although it's weird that it doesn't just continue the loading process, but restarts the laptop, I get an"Acer" screen and only after comes XP, no problem though) and when I choose Windows 10, it loads Windows 10.
    I suspect that it was okay the very first time, but maybe I didn't notice the loading screen somehow and it just went on with loading the default entry, presumably Windows 10, and then I started messing with the drive letter and caused an error until I reverted it to C:.

So all is well. Thanks for sticking with it and helping me!

5. Macboatmaster

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1183650