1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Updating the system bios

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by foufoutos, Jan 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. foufoutos

foufoutos Thread Starter

Is there possible after a unsuccesful update of my system BIOS to restore it's initial condition ???

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Can you boot the system at all? If so, it should be possible to run another update. Perhaps nothing was changed in the aborted attempt.

If you can't boot the system, then you are kinda' stuck. I've had this happen on a couple of older systems, which had removable BIOS memory, so I programmed them on an FLASH programmer to solve the problem. With the newer MB's with the FLASH soldered to the MB, you're SOL if the update fails.

3. Jtoast

Jtoast

On a lot of the newer motherboards (MSI , and Albatron come to mind) they have either a duplicate eprom or a way to make a boot disk to recover from a bad flash.
    you might try your motherboard manf website and see what info they have.

4. Tricky1

Tricky1

I was looking into updating my BIOS too, I ran sandra and it says

'BIOS is flash-able but surface mounted. An unsuccesful flash may be fatal!'

Is it not a good idea to try?

Its a compaq 686Y4 v3.00 by the way, if that helps.

Thanx in advance

5. Jtoast

Jtoast

Only update your bios to solve a specific problem, not just because.

An unsuccessful flash is almost always fatal without the protection I mentioned in my post above.

If a bios flash is what you need to fix something then by all means do it but make sure you follow your board manf instructions EXACTLY.

6. Tricky1

Tricky1

thanx jtoast, I have recently discovered 'tweaking' :D and like crack its a quick addiction

I downloaded a gret guide from Tweaktown and it says about checking the BIOS and updating if needed. But perhaps i won't just yet, I'll put that in the pile with the rather scary 'overclocking' manual :)

thanx again

7. Jtoast

Jtoast

lol that it is :D

Its not dificult to do and I have only killed one board out of the hundreds I have flashed ( power failure during the flash) but I know the chance is there before I start.

If you choose to do it, then like I said follow the instructions exactly and it doesnt hurt to make whatever small prayer you choose to pray to the diety of your choice when you reboot...hehe

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It also doesn't hurt to plug the system into a UPS so that a power glitch won't kill you. That's probably the most common issue around here, and why I've had a couple of failures! I was able to do them off the board and recover, but newer systems don't offer that option, so I use the UPS for these tasks. :)

9. rugrat

rugrat

Tricky1

All good advice, I have only had 1 bad flash in who knows how many. However when it goes bad, its real bad. I was able to order a replacement BIOS chip already flashed which save the board but, only flash if there is a specific problem that will be corrected. There is no improvement in performance to be gained unless there is a specific problem.

SeeYa

PS: Nice Avatar:D

PSS: got the new chip from www.badflash.com Only used them once but, service was great.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/111848

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice