1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Updating Windows 95

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Device, Oct 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Device

Device Thread Starter

Can I use Windows 98 Second edition CD to upgrade W95?

2. Miz

Miz

If the CD you have says "Upgrade" on it, then it's no problem. Boot the computer into Windows, insert the upgrade CD and step through the installation process. If it's a full Win98 installation CD, read on because the process is a little more involved.

First, make sure you have the product key for the CD. Very few things are more frustrating than getting through the Windows install only to discover you don't have the product key and you're dead in the water.

If you have a Win98 full install CD, you'll need to either format the drive to remove all files and then install 98SE or rename the "win.com" file to fool the 98 CD into installing over the old 95 installation.

If you don't want to format, read on.

Since you can't rename "win.com" while Windows is running, you need to boot with a Win98 boot floppy.

If you don't have one, you can make one on any Win98 computer by going to Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs>Startup disk tab. Insert a clean, formatted floppy in the floppy drive and tell it to "Make disk."

After booting up with the floppy on the Win95 computer (choosing the "With CD ROM support" option), type in the following command:
    REN C:\Windows\win.com win.old
    (Note the space after "com")
    Press enter.

Insert the Win98 CD into the CD drive and type:
    D:\setup
    Press enter.

If that doesn't work (says invalid drive), change to E:\setup and press enter. If that doesn't work, just keep going down the alphabet with that first letter until it does work. ;)

Once you've got the correct drive letter for the CD drive, the Win98 installation should begin.

3. Device

Device Thread Starter

Miz,
    Thank you for your help.
    Device

4. bayanbaru

bayanbaru

What is the simplest way to update win95 to win98? I am really a beginner and have never install win95 by myself. Would appreciate a step by step instruction. Many thanks.

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

You'll need to give us a wee bit more info before we can give you intelligent answers. If you've never installed 95, does that mean the drive is empty???? Or what?

6. bayanbaru

bayanbaru

I am currently using win95 and need to update minimum win98

7. ~Candy~

Then re-read the post above from Miz.

8. bayanbaru

bayanbaru

You mean I get the 'Updated' copy and just insert it? That simple and no hassle?

9. ~Candy~

If it's the upgrade, yes. If it's the full installaton cd, the file mentioned will have to be renamed otherwise it'll cry about finding a previous operating system and tell you that you can't use the full installation cd.

10. bassetman

bassetman Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten

Also if it warns you about accepting the registry changes after a re-boot that this very seriously!!!!
    You may only have a few seconds to accept and NAV or simialr may see the upgrade as an assault.

11. ~Candy~

Turn NAV off first ;)

12. bassetman

M$ actually recommended that I uninstall it and re-install after the upgrade Candy! :eek:
    :D

13. ~Candy~

Lol. Don't see what harm it could have done if it wasn't running.......M$ such a blessing sometimes :eek:

14. bassetman

Candy I think the issue is/was that when you re-boot NAV starts, and looks for changes in the registry. This upgrade M$ knew would be spotted and deleted if I didn't agree to the changes.
    Only thing was the didn't tell me I only had about 5 secs to say OK, so my system crashed. :(
    I had to go to DOS rename Windows to WINOLD and re-install. :rolleyes:

15. ~Candy~

Right, I understand that part. But if it's not running on startup, when you reboot, you 'should' be ok, no?

At least that is my logic :D I don't recall seeing your thread on it :D

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172836

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice