1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Updating Windows Vista to Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by xaquaristx, Jun 8, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. xaquaristx

xaquaristx Thread Starter

Hi,

I have here a Dell XPS 6301 that has Windows Vista on it, and I have Windows 10 on a usb. Can anyone give me instructions on how to install the Windows 10 to it?

Thank you !

2. xaquaristx

Also, Ive looked up the specs already, they all are higher than the requirements.

3. lunarlander

lunarlander

You won't be able to activate the license of Windows 10. Windows 10 can only be upgraded if you have minimum Win 7. Then it will record your hardware and activate it. If you do a clean install of Win 10 erasing everything on the hard drive, it will install OK, but you don't have a product key, then won't activate.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You appear to actually have a Dell XPS 630i desktop.
    It appears that model desktop was introduced in late 2007 - early 2008.
    What's the exact 7-character "service tag/serial" number on yours?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
  5. xaquaristx

97T1SH1

6. xaquaristx

Also, tried to download windows 7 from microsoft because of the having to do Windows 7 first; now I’m getting a bootmgr error upon startup. Anything I can do to get this working again at least?

7. lunarlander

lunarlander

Did you say "Upgrade Now' to the media creation tool? Don't do that, Windows has a very poor history of successfully migrating from a previous version. Generate a DVD.

8. xaquaristx

I need help, my Windows Vista computer I tried to update to Windows 7 via a download from Microsoft and now I can’t do anything, upon startup it says there’s a bootmgr error and to hit ctrl alt delete to try again. Service code: 97T1SH1

Dell XPS 630i

9. xaquaristx

I’m not sure what I did to be honest. But now I’m stuck on bootmgr is missing and can’t do anything. Any way to fix?

10. lunarlander

lunarlander

Boot from the Win 7 DVD, after the first screen, choose Repair.

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    According to that service tag/serial number, you have THIS Dell XPS 630i desktop.
    This model Dell desktop was introduced in late 2007 - early 2008 and came with Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit.

You didn't provide a detailed description of the hardware(processor, graphics, audio, ethernet, etc.) in yours.
    It's my guess it doesn't have the "horsepower" to run Windows 10, and it may not have driver support for all of its primary devices.

----------------------------------------------------------------

12. lunarlander

lunarlander

I think he just realized he downloaded Win 7 instead of Win 10 - he started a new thread.

13. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
  14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I merged your threads here. Please do not start multiple threads on the same topic.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1228314

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice