Solved Upgade to Office 2010

Harry32

My current MS Office version is Home & Business 2010, which I understand will not be supported much longer. So for peace of mind an update may be in order.

I have a single desktop PC on which I do all my work, so the multiple-device feature of Office 365 would be wasted on me. It appears that upgrades to Office 2016 and 2019 are available and can be purchased outright without a subscription. I assume either one would install easily and could take over what's being done currently with Office 2010 (mainly maintenance & revision of a large number of Word and Excel files) and give me continuing Microsoft support for some years into the future.

Question is, which of the 2 (Office 2016 or 2019) would be the better choice, and where can I buy it online with assurance that I'm getting a legal copy?

I had been using Windows 2010 Pro for eight years when I replaced it. I only paid $99 for it but it was a University (student) version that I bought when I was going to school. What also made it a good deal was that back then you could install it on two computers with one being a mobile device i.e. laptop. The versions since then can only be installed on one computer.

Since Office 2010 had reached end of support it decided to look for an upgrade. I needed copies for both my desktop and laptop so I needed two copies. Paying full price for Office 2019 Pro was out of the question.

I found some online retailers were selling Office 2016 and Office 2019 for greatly discounted prices. A closer look showed these were not regular retail versions. For example, I was seeing this for sale: Office Professional Plus 2019. A little searching showed that this version should only be available through volume license channels, i.e. for use by big companies.

There is a well-respected YouTube channel that has one of these online retailers as a sponsor. By their recommendation I bought two copies of Office 2019 Pro Plus. They activated fine.

The question is are these licenses legal? Technically they are not. The strange thing is that there are a bunch of online retailers selling greatly discounted copies of both Windows and Office. The question also is if Microsoft did not approve of this why are they not shutting these sellers down? Note that some of these sellers have been around for more than a year. Apparently, Microsoft is aware of all of this but has decided to focus its attention on more important matters.

BTW, at least one of these discount sellers is doing so on Amazon.

The question is how does this relate to what is being sold online now? Are some companies selling unused activations? For example, suppose a company buys a volume license for 1000 activations for Microsoft Office Pro Plus but only uses 300 of them. They then sell the 700 unused activations to on online discount retailer. The online retailer then sells the same product key up to 700 times.

I can't tell you or anyone else here what they should do regarding this. I only can say what I did and let you make up your own mind.

It is up to you whether you get Office 2016 or Office 2019. Both are for sale. The following information may be relevant:

Microsoft Office 2016
Mainstream Support End Date: 10/13/2020
Extended Support End Date: 10/14/2025

Microsoft Office 2019
Mainstream Support End Date: 10/10/2023
Extended Support End Date: 10/14/2025

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Office Professional has both Home and Commercial licenses, but there are a few out there that may be using tools to circumvent the licensing so be careful using unknown sources.

I would say getting Office Home and Student 2019 and purchase it from Microsoft's site.

My own preference would get the Subscription (personal subscription if you don't require the new software for other family members). online storage and the ability to be able to get to the files from other computers via web portal is one reason, plus you will get any upgrades for free. Something that I like with software.

Harry32

Having come to realize that Office 2010 aps will continue to function beyond 10/13/20 (despite lack of "support"), I have no need to upgrade. Case closed.

Having come to realize that Office 2010 aps will continue to function beyond 10/13/20 (despite lack of "support"), I have no need to upgrade. Case closed.
That is the misconception of using software past the end of support date. The fact that it functions past said date is not the issue. The issue is security and exploiting such breaches. The fact remains that the software is vulnerable. It's the same thing with using an outdated OS....ie XP or Vista. Of course they still work....but there will be not patches to plug the security holes that can be exploited.

With that it's: Use at your own Risk!

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
That is the misconception of using software past the end of support date. The fact that it functions past said date is not the issue. The issue is security and exploiting such breaches. The fact remains that the software is vulnerable. It's the same thing with using an outdated OS....ie XP or Vista. Of course they still work....but there will be not patches to plug the security holes that can be exploited.

With that it's: Use at your own Risk!
I agree also, but at the same time, if you are willing to continue without any more security updates, then all power to you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online