1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrade 98 to 2000

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Cdysigh, Feb 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cdysigh

Cdysigh Banned Thread Starter

I have a old gateway 800 performance and I wanted to use it to play old games. Windows 2000 wasnt installing so I took the hard drive out and installed it on my optiplex. Then took it back out and put it back in. Every time I start the computer it gets stuck loading windows. I've tried going into safe mode but same result. I'm starting to think I need a new hard drive or my gateway cant handle 2000.

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I am not surprised as of course you have installed on one computer which has then installed the windows configuring all settings, drivers and the registry to everything on that computer
    So you cannot expect it to run on another computer where the hardware of all manner and the drivers etc are not the same

Additionally to that Windows 2000 was not a normal retail licence - so where please is the licence for that from.

3. Cdysigh

It was the same hard drive so it would have all the drivers etc.

4. Macboatmaster

I understood you to say
    Although I was a little confused regarding the highlighted meant
    I presumed this to mean - back in the Gateway

So if I am right, you took the hard drive out of the Gateway, put it in the OptiPlex and installed Windows 2000
    When you did so, it installed the OS on the OptiPlex - to install Windows it is necessary for the installer to have recognition of certain system components on the computer to which it is being installed - the OptiPlex.

Part of the installation process is the loading of drivers and configuring of hardware and in this case that is the hardware of the OptiPlex NOT the Gateway

You then took the drive out of the OptiPlex and returned it to the Gateway.
    Therefore it is now trying to load windows on hardware OTHER than the system on which the OS was installed.

It does not make any difference that the hard drive came from the Gateway, it could have been from any computer.

Is that now a little clearer to you please.

Finally please answer the question

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  5. Cdysigh

Yeah that is very possible but the gateway wont even boot up and I dont think it needs drivers for that. Thanks for telling me though.

6. Macboatmaster

I thought you said it booted - but would not then load windows and you still have not answered the question

Good luck I will leave you with it.

7. Cdysigh

I have a windows 2000 install disk with the product key.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2017
  8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I edited out your show of disrespect. After your brief timeout please stick to the subject.

9. Cdysigh

really terry?!

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Yes, Cdysigh, really. After you've been here awhile people will get to "know" you and you'll discover which of us you can kid around with and you can probably make such comments to some of us and nobody will blink an eye.

11. Cdysigh

well obviously you're the [deleted by mod] huh?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2017
  12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1184950

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice