1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

upgrade advice needed

Discussion in 'Games' started by teknownono, Jan 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. teknownono

teknownono Thread Starter

I'm planning a major programme of upgrades on my comp.......i wanna go extreme on the games front...and my celeron with 256 of ram..is as usefull as a paper weight........these are my proposed upgrades...
    Amd athlon 64 3200+ 2.2 ghz cpu
    abit av8 mother board
    1 gig of ram
    and nvidia geforce 6800 gt graph card..or if i can afford it the 6800 ultra...
    does anybody agree with my plans........will these upgrades run games like doom3...the battlefield series..half life........and will it have some life span for ruture developements............
    be gratefull for any comments........im not that much in the know regarding computers.....cheers

2. McTimson

McTimson

Well...that system will play games just fine, that's pretty much the best you can get right now...unfortunately, we're right in the beginning of a hardware transition from AGP and DDR to PCI-Express and DDRII. Neither are compatible with each other, and the new things are really just beginning to come out...however, there's a good chance that a few years from now, they'll stop making AGP cards and DDR RAM, so upgradeability there is kind of limited. But that system should last a very long time, as long as you don't expect to be able to max out the resolution and graphics settings on new games a few years ago. It will still play the games fine, and they'll look great too, but it won't look as good as whatever brand new hardware does.

3. lax987

lax987

yea that is a good system, graphics card is really good
    that will run half life 2 really well, and battlefield will be perfect

4. Kramer55

Kramer55

2.2ghz may be a little slow, you may want to consider upgrading that

5. cheese

cheese

Ehm...AMD as of now goes up to 2.6ghz, AMD uses different things then intel which makes them just as good but less ghz.. like a 3200 AMD is on par with a 3.2ghz P4. That CPU hes getting is very good, i wish i could get my hands on that ;)

6. in3rt!a

in3rt!a

yeah and go for the 6800 gt, not the ultra, because you can easily over clock the GT to Ultra speeds and save like 100 bucks. thats what ill be doing, im getting a very similar system to yours.

7. teknownono

teknownono Thread Starter

yeah ive read up on pci express...and asked a collegue about it...........he has an arogance about him when i ask him stuff...because he knows more than me.......he reckons pci was before agp..........but im still a bit miffed about pci express.........
    the last thing i want is my new (rig).......can i call it that........becoming out of date tommorow...thanx for your feedback....
    im a learner.........hell im learning how to use this site..lol

8. in3rt!a

in3rt!a

pc's go out of date really quickly. something new is always coming out or being developed. but that doesnt mean your computer will be bad, just not the best.

in regards to pci-e, i asked this question awhile ago, and got this answer:
    if youre not familiar with SLI, its nvidias latest graphics technology where you take 2 identical cards and link them together. each one renders half the screen, supposedly it results in better performance (it is 2 graphics cards after all). however, i think the tech is way to new to be worth it. i mean, sli computer start at like 4 grand. alienwares start at 6. and benchmark tests show that it doesnt substantially out-perform the latest single graphics cards.

9. lax987

lax987

im going towards pci express because it sounds like, after visiting ati and nvidia's website, and reading many articles, agp cards are gonna stop being made, and they will all begin making pci-e
    however, they might keep making the agp cards, but you wont have as good as a selection as you would with the pci-express cards in the future

10. in3rt!a

in3rt!a

i do believe that it will be quite awhile before agp is taken off the market.

right now, both pci-e and agp are just fine. but its true that pci-e is supposed to be faster.

11. McTimson

McTimson

If you want future upgradeability, then you're better off going the PCI-E route. Cards right now may not need the extra bandwidth, but cards in the future probably will, and they'll be designed to take advantage of it.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/322377

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice