Upgrade Advice (to run Premier Pro)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mrasmith

Hi everyone,

Hope this is in the right forum!

I would be really grateful for some guidance on upgrading my machine. The aim is to be able to run Adobe Premier Pro and After Effects for video editing.

I currently have a 2013 Dell XPS 8500 desktop with an Intel Core i7-3770 Processor (3.40GHz, 8MB), 8GB RAM (2x4GB 1600MHz DDR3 Dual Channel), and a 1GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 GPU

I am on a tight budget and am considering upgrading the machine in the following way:
  1. Replace the HDD with a Samsung 860EVO 500gb SSD.
  2. Upgrade to 16gb [possibly 32gb or even 64gb at a later date] DDR3 RAM (there are four available slots on the MB)
I cannot currently afford to upgrade the GPU, but would be grateful for some GPU recommendations that are compatible with my machine for the future. I am aware that Premier Pro system requirements asks for a minimum of 2 GB of GPU VRAM – to get around this for the time being, I am planning on lowering the playback settings on Premier Pro.

Does this sound plausible? Is the i7-3770 Processor sufficient? Is there anything I am missing/ anything I should watch out for?

Many thanks indeed for any help.

All best.

crjdriver

You are fighting a losing battle. The minimum requirements are a 6th gen intel or AMD equivalent. Your motherboard does not support those cpus. In addition, you need a minimum of a video card with 2gig video memory.
In short, you are going to need a new motherboard, processor, ram, pw supply, video card and case. Here are the requirements for adobe;
https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/system-requirements.html

mrasmith

You are fighting a losing battle. The minimum requirements are a 6th gen intel or AMD equivalent. Your motherboard does not support those cpus. In addition, you need a minimum of a video card with 2gig video memory.
In short, you are going to need a new motherboard, processor, ram, pw supply, video card and case. Here are the requirements for adobe;
https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/system-requirements.html
Many thanks for your response. I came across some sources that suggest the i7-3770 might be fine - but I very much appreciate your thoughts on this.

See:
See :
See :

These reviews suggest the the 3rd gen i7 still cuts it in comparison to the 9th gen i7.

Also, I am aware of other Premier Pro users who have no dedicated graphics card at all and simply lower the playback settings to get around this problem.

I know my machine doesn't meet the official minimum requirements, but I am hoping I might be able to cut a few corners.

My main concern is the processor - do you think the above YouTube reviews indicate it might work?

crjdriver

The only way you are going to find out is to install the program and see how it runs. My guess is that the processor would probably be OK however you are very low on ram for running a program such as adobe AND your video card is below min requirements. Again when you do not meet min requirements, you are a beta tester; might work and it might not work.
If the adobe setup does not do a hardware check during the install, it will probably install just fine however it will most likely not run all that well with minimal ram and a video card below spec.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online