Upgrade advice

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

RT

(y)
That's the least expensive way to go.
If you get into other more demanding games later, you'll still have to sorta balance the CPU/RAM/GPU equation as the games require.

Good luck, and if you can, let us know what you decide and how it works out for you.
(Overclock at your own risk, or ask back about that)

RT

One final thought about RAM upgrades-
generally it best to match what you have.
That is to say if your currently have one 8GB stick, match it with a duplicate 8GB instead of adding two more 4GB modules.
Look through what ASUS recommends on that.

Catfishbobby

RT

Well from what I read there, it is an 8GB kit that consists of two 4GB modules...
What i was saying before is that, generally, you should match what you have with another 8GB stick.
Or get one 16GB module, DDR3. Your mobo will support that.

You said you have one 8GB DDR2, and if you add those two Fury 4GB sticks running DDR3, you'll be bottle necked by the DDR2 component.
That is to to say, the weakest link in the chain...
they may work, but you won't get full performance.

You could remove the old DDR2 module and replace it with one 16GB DDR3,
or two matched 8GB DDr3s...which ever is cheaper and is supported by your mobo.
The RAM specs are given HERE

And apologies, the links given to memory sites didn't take into account you're somewhere across the pond :unsure:

RT

Wait a minnit...
you said replace with TWO sets of those...
OK that should work!

Last edited:

Catfishbobby

Wait a minnit...
you said replace with TWO sets of those...
OK that should work!
Yes!

It's fairly old ram I have in there anyway. I've over clocked this CPU before, but took it back down because I stopped gaming to give it a bigger life expectancy.

I'll order that RAM and once it's here's OC :D

I might take the CPU cooler off and give that some maintenance as well, maybe some new thermal paste just incase.

Catfishbobby

Yes!

It's fairly old ram I have in there anyway. I've over clocked this CPU before, but took it back down because I stopped gaming to give it a bigger life expectancy.

I'll order that RAM and once it's here's OC :D

I might take the CPU cooler off and give that some maintenance as well, maybe some new thermal paste just incase.
I just found on Amazon the some clock speed buy 8GB sticks X2 so if I want to eventually get 32GBs I can as well :)

RT

I did have an i5 2500K in my last desktop, and it came "over clocked" by the builder, added a rather large Arctic cooler too.
Basically, they just used the "safe' tweaks in the BIOS that Intel provides for clocking, so didn't really risk any burnouts.
I liked that chip too much to push it beyond those limits, doncha know :)

So you see, personally I've played it safe with over clocks and RAM compatibility...
so, also personally, I prefer to buy RAM from a reputable site that offers a scan guaranteeing compatibility.
Crucial and Patriot , etc. offer that and was remiss in mentioning that they are also international in scope.

But now that you know your mobo specs for upgrades, I'm sure you can find the right components for your system.

Keep us posted, please, it's always good to know how problems are resolved (y)

Catfishbobby

I did have an i5 2500K in my last desktop, and it came "over clocked" by the builder, added a rather large Arctic cooler too.
Basically, they just used the "safe' tweaks in the BIOS that Intel provides for clocking, so didn't really risk any burnouts.
I liked that chip too much to push it beyond those limits, doncha know :)

So you see, personally I've played it safe with over clocks and RAM compatibility...
so, also personally, I prefer to buy RAM from a reputable site that offers a scan guaranteeing compatibility.
Crucial and Patriot , etc. offer that and was remiss in mentioning that they are also international in scope.

But now that you know your mobo specs for upgrades, I'm sure you can find the right components for your system.

Keep us posted, please, it's always good to know how problems are resolved (y)
I will come back in the next few days and let you know how I get on. Thanks guys! Really appreciate it.

Reactions: RT

Catfishbobby

@RT So ive got a stable 4.5ghz OC and the Rams doing nicely! Definitely have better performance in games, If I was going to upgrade the GPU would it be worth it? Or would the current setup still just bottleneck the GPU

Reactions: RT

RT

Hey, thanks for the update (y)
Glad to hear you're running well!

I tend to upgrade all I can on a system before retiring it, so after RAM the GPU would next.
Depends on your budget, but at some point you'll see the 2500K might not be enough...
some games are RAM dependent, some GPU and some CPU matters most.
There's always a bottleneck, of greater or less matter.

It's a vicious cycle no matter the application.
You can never have state of the art as things progress quickly, but I always research and try to get the best bang for the buck, even if it's last year's component.

I suggest you start a new thread if you're looking to upgrade your GPU, for timely advice.

Don't forget to mark this thread Solved, if you think it is ;)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online