1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrade AMD Processor or buy Intel?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by compukid7, Apr 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. compukid7

compukid7 Thread Starter

First of all I have a AMD FX-4170 at 4.20GHz, with an R9 270x, and my motherboard is a MSI 760GMA-P34.

I have recently learnt that my CPU is bottle-necking my Graphics a lot. During game play of Grand Theft Auto V, my processors usage is ranging between 86% and 98%, whereas my Graphics card is using about 30% to 40%.

I am in need of a new CPU but I am not in a financial position to be spending a lot, I would probably put the 4170 on eBay to get money for a new CPU. My budget would be around £100, and then however much the 4170 is worth.

Should I upgrade my current processor to one which would match my graphics card, if so, which CPU would be recommended to play games like GTA V on medium to high settings? Or should I rebuild with an Intel motherboard and a new CPU?

Any help is appreciated and thanks in advance!

2. replay

replay

3. compukid7

compukid7 Thread Starter

Would that processor do for gaming and would it be future proof?

4. replay

replay

I am not a gamer but I would think so.......future proof?? Nothing is really future proof!
    U might wanna check how much that processor costs then take it from there

5. compukid7

compukid7 Thread Starter

So with a budget of maybe £170 max, is switching to Intel not an option for me?

6. replay

replay

U can't install a Intel CPU in a amd board
    U would have to buy a new Intel CPU and a new Intel mobo

7. compukid7

compukid7 Thread Starter

Yeah I know but I was asking if I could do it for £170

8. replay

replay

A decent i5 or i7 CPU would cost all of your budget I would imagine......not really up on prices in pounds tho

9. renegade600

renegade600

it will depend upon your operating system. if you are using manufacturers or system builders oem and the os is win7 or older, you will have to also replace the operating system if you replace the motherboard. this is per microsoft's oem license.

10. compukid7

compukid7 Thread Starter

I have a Windows 8.1 Pro key which I got through my college which I believe can be used more than once, if not I can request another key.

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The FX-8370 isn't going to be a big improvement over the FX-4170: http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/1146944-error-when-try-print-adobe.html

An FX-8350 or better is the recommended CPU, or an Intel i5-3470, the FX-4170 exceeds the minimum requirements.

Have you checked to make sure your CPU is not overheating? Tat you have the latest Radeon beta graphics drivers installed? You need the latest beta drivers that have GTA V optimizations: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows+8.1+-+64

FYI, high CPU usage is not necessarily a bad thing by itself.

12. compukid7

compukid7 Thread Starter

Isn't the FX-8370 a better CPU than the FX-8350?

I don't think it is overheating as I have just recently purchased a new case, and I took off my cooler and cleaned it while moving the components across, and I re-applied thermal paste to the heat sink. In addition, the CPU temperature never gets very high at all.

I have the latest beta drivers for my card. Thanks for your response

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Yes, the FX-8370 is a bit better than the FX-8350, its turbo speed is 4.3 vs 4.2Ghz which is practically nothing.

What are the CPU temps?

14. compukid7

compukid7 Thread Starter

My CPU will usually sit arround 55C when playing games, and it will idle about 25C to 30C.

15. jamesx121

jamesx121

Compukid7
    U said U are planning on selling the FX 4170 cpu
    I looked on E-Bay from the states
    and it shows 2 FX 4170s for sell right now.
    1 from England for £45.00 pounds. Brand new
    cpu.
    the Second was from Germany for €95 Euros
    and it was a used cpu.
    i'm not sure your going to be able to
    get enough money selling your used
    cpu to add with the £100 to afford
    a brand new cpu.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147040

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice