1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrade BIOS?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ehunt, Feb 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ehunt

ehunt Thread Starter

Have an IBM Thinkpad 600 233, 4G HD and 190mb memory....thing
    is that microsoft site recommends upgrading BIOS and requires that a "fully charged battery" be installed during process. My battery is dead so I do not know if the upgrade will work or not :confused: Any suggestions?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Are you having any issues that are fixed by a new BIOS upgrade? If not, my suggestion is to ignore the advice to upgrade the BIOS. It's quite easy to render your machine inert in the process of upgrading the BIOS.

Don't fix things that aren't broken. :)

3. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I have never heard of a recommendation like that. I would presonally have the thing plugged into the Wall when you attempt to upgrade the bios.

But like Johnwill said, If it aint broke dont fix it.

4. ehunt

ehunt Thread Starter

My thoughts too...the battery just has to be installed and AC power too. I think the battery thing is for the ACP power management stuff in the BIOS. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I don't know about the older laptops, but the newer laptops usually won't allow you to go through a BIOS upgrade unless they detect that power is coming from an outside electrical source and not from a battery source.

A BIOS upgrade is okay to do, if there's a need to do it and not just because an upgrade is available. If a BIOS upgrade goes bad, you're up the creek without a paddle.

As far as "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", read here.

6. ehunt

ehunt Thread Starter

My sentiments exactly, but I know it needs something because when it boots up, is shows the memory...192xxx, pauses for about 10-15 seconds, then flashes abit and starts desktop scene.
    No award bios info, devices info, nothing. I installed 98SE on it after wiping NT, (formatting to clear HD). One thing that is also weird is that when I click on the internet access (dialup) icon, it duplicates connection and gives next number. Like Access2, then
    next time it does Access3, then 4. Very strange....so I just click IE and it automatically dials my original Access connection. Some update needed in DUN probably, but it connects and works fine. Anyway, like I said before, the battery thing during BIOS upgrade is some IBM Thinkpad Power Management stuff that measures battery charge and displays power levels and beeps when low or 5 min. remaining on charge. Lots of problems with the old TP batteries, and I can't use mine because it's dead. Hence, I only use A/C.
    Thanks for any comments, suggestions. Good link to the updates info., and I do any and all fixes I feel necessary, according to the
    "Big Fix" program which I found on this site.

7. JohnWill

While I don't disagree about driver and O/S updates, I have to stick to my opinion that upgrading the BIOS needlessly is not necessary and ill advised.

FWIW, many laptops don't show a BIOS banner, since it's a manufacturer's prerogative to put whatever he likes as the BIOS splash screen. I don't think a BIOS upgrade will change that.

It's also normal for the BIOS to pause after the memory test, it's configuring the MB and I/O devices, and there are lots of timing loops waiting for responses.

8. ehunt

ehunt Thread Starter

Thanks johnwill, I knew it was "loading" everything because the HD light flickers. Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated. I
    think I'll leave it as is and not do anything drastic until I have major problems. One question, what would doing any BIOS updates or changes affect?....motherboard? Hard drive? everything? Thanks again.

9. JohnWill

Depending on the amount of difference between the old and new BIOS, it can render a W2K/WXP installation un-bootable, I've seen that happen. :) Generally, BIOS updates affect support for various MB devices, and also support for larger disk drives.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/200230

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice