1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

upgrade camera or not?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by jethsy, Jun 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jethsy

jethsy Thread Starter

I am currently using a Nikon Coolpix S210, 8 mp, 3x zoom that works fine. Without jumping to an slr or expensive camera--say over $200--what features would really make an improvement for me? Options I am considering are better optical zoom, more mp, larger lcd, etc. I am not interested in touch screen. I know it is not necessary to go to higher mp for higher mp's sake, because of "noise."
    Any advice is welcome! Thanks!

2. wowzer

wowzer

What don't you like about your current camera?

What do you generally like to take pictures of?

You said... "say over $200"... Does that mean you want to spend no more than that?... or will spend more, because a dslr will be lots more just to get started.

3. jethsy

jethsy Thread Starter

I just take pics of family events and grandchildren. I usually only print snapshots, but occasionally make larger prints to frame. I do like to do a lot of photo editing, including cropping. I also like to take pics with no flash and my current camera isn't so good for that, but maybe none are since the shutter has to be open so long and it's practically impossible to hold steady that long.

4. Megabite

Megabite

Your camera is a point and shoot basic camera. Using a tripod even for shots you think do do not need it, makes a difference. I know a guy who always uses a tripod or stick tripod.

If you want to take great pics then you will have to spend some money. But you can still get good pics with an upgrade from what you have.

5. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

An 18mp camera will get you a decent photo for printing at 18 inches wide if you're going that large.
    I like a larger optical zoom .. Currently have a 16x zoom in my Sony Point and Shoot.
    What software are you editing with ???

6. wowzer

wowzer

Still wish this had been answered...

Fast motion shots are not the strong suit for point and shoot budget cameras, ie: focus speed/shutter lag... flash can help some with that ... tripod/monopod not so much, as they help to stabilize the camera but do nothing for the movement of the subject or the above mentioned focus and lag.

7. wowzer

wowzer

Never heard a monopod called that before, assuming that's what you're refering to... :)

8. Peano

Peano Banned

So will an 8 mp camera.

9. Megabite

Megabite

Yea Stick tripod as used a stick from a tree as a steady so I guess not Tripod MonoTreeStick.:)

10. wowzer

wowzer

Absolutely...as will my 6mp Fuji S2

11. wowzer

wowzer

:) ... An age old saying comes to mind... any port in a storm ...

12. lili5689

lili5689

well,if I were you,i will do it ...for I like taking pic,the upgraded will help your pic more great....the more $200,,,hm,it its worthy.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1058494