1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrade Compaq Presario

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by solitudetree, Jul 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. solitudetree

solitudetree Thread Starter

I am upgrading a Compaq Presario 5000 model #5WB220 with a very low 15 GB hard drive for a friend. It currently has Windows ME and there is no Compaq Restore CD.

I have increased the memory to 320 by adding an additional 256 MB RAM.

I am wanting to totally replace the 15GB hard drive with an 80 GB hard drive and load Windows XP Home.

The problem I am finding out is that Compaq has propriertory info on a partition within the existing drive. From what I understand without the Restore CD, I can't put the new drive in.

I'm wondering if there are any other alternatives to doing this.

Can I install XP on the existing drive and then transfer all the data (to include the compaq proprietory info) to the new drive in a slave position?

2. Sponsor

3. etaf

etaf Moderator

is this a retail fulll version of XP your friend has purchased on an upgrade version ???

you may find the PC is actually slower with 320MB and XP then it was using windows ME
    my experiance has shown that 512MB is needed for a good performance

Is it possible the partition actually contains the recovery - often manufacturers would put the recovery on a partition which is accessable using a special key on boot up like F10

make sure you goonto the HP website and download all the drivers for XP for that PC - video, modem, sound, etc etc

an alternative would be to leave ME on the PC as it is and install the new drive 80GB as a data disk - then copy all the data across to hit - leaving the 15GB HDD just for the OS and programs

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

You MAY POSSIBLY be able to burn a set of recovery disks from the recovery partition on the hard drive. Here is a link that tells you how to determine if you can burn the disks and also the procedure. There is also information regarding obtaining a set of recovery disks from Compaq, however since the machine is somewhat "aged" the recovery disks from Compaq MAY not be available.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...4&dest_page=prodinfoCategory&docname=bph07143

If the machine has the option to burn the recovery disks, I suggest that you use a good quality disk (I use MEMOREX Music CD's to make recovery disks) and if your burning program allows, burn at a slower speed, i.e. 12x, 24x rather than a faster speed if the burner is capable of burning at faster speeds.

5. solitudetree

They purchased a hard drive (no operating system) and Windows XP Home (full install not the upgrade).

I figured it would need 512 as well but their funds are tight so they'll get more memory when they can. Probably pretty soon I think. That's why I'm doing the work for them.

Yes, the partition does contain the recovery.

They want to get rid of ME since Microsoft is no longer doing support for it on their website so unfortunately that's not an option.

Could I do a full install of XP Home onto the existing drive (which I know would cut down on overall performance) with the existing partition? Then load the 80GB drive as a secondary drive (slave position)?

Would the recovery info transfer from one drive to another?? If so, would it make sense to install the 80 GB and transfer all ME/recovery info to it and then reformat each drive with XP?

Thanks for the help!

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

i would use the 15G drive as a system drive an put all the data onto the new drive - but it will mean they need to make sure they do that when using the PC and do not save to my documents on the C drive

do they have a CD or DVD writer in the PC
    if so
    then theres little you need off the recovery partitiion unlessit came with some programs you want

all you need to do is take off there data
    dont forget
    favorites
    email files
    etc

OR
    you could install the 80GB as the master and put XP on that
    and then using the 15GB as a slave copy any data you may want across to the new drive

as i say dont forget all the drivers - so while the system is in its current condition make sure you know all the kit

www.belarc.com will give you a lot of details

7. solitudetree

I think I'll do the later.

Make the 80GB the main and slave the 15GB so I can copy the info to the 80GB.

Unfortunately, no burner. Just a regular CD Drive.

I do have an external burner on my own home computer. What are the chances of saving the recovery info/partition to that and installing it on the 80GB?

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

why do you want to save the recovery area onto a CD as its windows ME and they want XP - or is this just in case it all goes wrong and you need to recover???

have you tried win2kpro ideas at all - may work with an external CD

9. solitudetree

Compaq has it set up on their older models so that if you replace a drive without the restore disk or recovery info, your upgrade may not work correctly. They have since removed the prop/recovery info from the hidden smaller partition.

I've googled it several times. I have yet to talk to a compaq support person yet about the problem.

I think what I'll do is install XP as the system drive and then make the 80GB the slave and put all their other programs on it instead of the 15GB drive.

Hopefully that will work.

Thanks again!!

10. win2kpro

win2kpro

If you are going to install XP and no longer need the recovery partition on the 15 gig hard drive you can download and run DBAN;

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

and it will totally wipe the drive and partition. You can either burn a CD with DBAN or make a floppy disk to "wipe" the drive.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484470