1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Upgrade desktop with Windows 7 to Windows 10 ?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by larryh10000, May 16, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. larryh10000

larryh10000 Thread Starter

I work as a janitor at a church and they have asked me if I could upgrade one of their desktop computers from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I told them I would get back to them about that. I don't have the computer yet so I can't offer any specs on it, but I do have a little bit of info on it - see paragraph below.
    My question is this: the computer came with Windows 7 and is still currently running Windows 7. I would like to do a clean install of Windows 10 on the machine and I do have a Windows 10 ISO fill on a USB flash drive (1803) version that I could use to do the upgrade. The computer does have a Windows 7 product key on the case, so if I was to do this I could enter that product key at the time of installation but was wondering if that product key would be accepted for activation of the Windows 10 upgrade? I want to be sure I am not committing any piracy stuff here and want to be perfectly legal. I am not interested in doing this unless it is perfectly legal. Your help would be appreciated. If this is legal I'd like to help them out and save a little money. Otherwise they will need to purchase a Windows 10 license and I can still do the upgrade for them with the new license.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  2. Sponsor

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Does your USB thumb drive install media contain Windows 10 Home or Pro?
    Is that desktop(unknown description) running Windows 7 Home Premium or Professional or some other version?

Windows 7 is supported until January 2020, so there's no rush in switching that desktop to Windows 10.
    Does that church have another desktop to fall back on, in case the switch to Windows 10 in that desktop goes bad?

I do clean installs of Windows 10 by another method instead of using a computer's Windows 7 product key, so someone else here will need to answer your question.

---------------------------------------------------------------

4. larryh10000

My USB thumb drive has Windows 10 Home version. I believe the desktop is Windows 7 Home Premium. Yes, the church has other computers they can use if something goes wrong. I also have access to a computer with Windows 10 Pro so I could always make a USB thumb drive with that ISO on it as well, so either way I would have the correct Windows 10 ISO that I could use.
    The more important question I'm trying to get to here is doing this upgrade a legal thing to do as long as I have the Microsoft product key for the Windows 7 desktop system that I would be upgrading?

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Okay, good.

To my knowledge, it's still legal to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 by using the Windows 7 product key or by using the method that I use.

----------------------------------------------------------------

6. larryh10000

Thanks Frank (I hope it's okay to just call you Frank instead of Mr. Flavallee).
    I know that during the installation process using the USB drive ISO file, it asks for the user to type in their Microsoft Product Key. Now you can skip that and it will still install the upgrade but within 30 days it will start nagging you to enter the product key. What happens, I understand is that once the Product Key is entered during the installation, that number gets sent back to the Microsoft servers for authentication. If it can't be authenticated you might just stop right there. Anyway, be-what-it-may, that is my understanding but I do have a legitimate Windows 7 Product Key so it should be good to go.

I have to ask "what is the method that you use to upgrade Windows OS's (if you don't mind sharing that) ?

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Go HERE and then scroll down to Here's How: and then follow the 12 steps.

8. larryh10000

Thanks Frank - as always you've been a big help (y)

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You're welcome. :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1210291

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice