Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Upgrade for Dell Inspiron 3847

9K views 73 replies 7 participants last post by  texasbullet 
#1 ·
I want to upgrade my Dell Inspiron 3847 I currently have a gt 1030 and I Intel core i3 4150 so can I upgrade to Nvidia GTX 1650 without any pin connectors and a Intel core i7 4790 I have a 300w psu so will my computer be good to go.

#35 ·
I wish you good luck with it
I will however not be continuing with your topic

#39 ·
It matters not at all how old you are here. ;-)

You can purchase just about any 2.5" SATA SSD. Name brands are preferable. You will need a cradle to adapt it to a 3.5" form factor. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/ORICO-Adapte...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

I've not used this specific product and I am not endorsing it, just suggesting you need something similar.

Hopefully the PC has the slide rails you need to install it in that system. You indicate you've got extra SATA data cables and I can see from the manual that there should be a power connector for the slot right below your existing HDD.

#41 ·
#43 ·
You can see in the picture I included above that there should be a spare power connector where the 2nd drive fits into the system. Does yours not look like that?

#45 ·
That cable and the 2.5" to 3.5" adapter/cradle so that you can install in where a second HDD would go.

You've got the sliding rails, right?
Font Electric blue Machine Electronics accessory Composite material

#47 ·
Well, I imagine they would help with the alignment (for getting the power cable to work properly without strain), but I guess they are not absolutely essential. Are they not screwed in place already, awaiting use?

I know NEC (or maybe it was older Dells) used to supply the rails mounted inside the front bezel. You'd remove them, attach to a drive and insert in the drive bay.

#55 ·
I believe I see the rails in the bottom drive bay. You'll have to move the power connector down so that the now empty plug (P3) is in the top drive and the one now in the existing drive (P5) will be used for the SSD.
Electrical wiring Gas Electronic engineering Engineering Computer hardware

#56 ·
It wouldn't hurt to take a can of compressed air to it, too! Take it outside and use short bursts of air to blow it out, especially the fans. Hold the blades so that they don't spin when you blast them.

#57 ·
I don't wanna take out those cables I will just buy a new cable the sata and plug it in cause you know I got all my important data in my hdd and I am gonna be using the SSD for games and stuff so what should I do in this case cause I don't wanna lose any data or have a corrupted drive like try to understand you know it had data from 7 years back

#58 ·
First of all, you need to have your important data backed up! There are two kinds of hard drive - those that have failed, and those that are going to! You need to have important files in at least two locations, not on the same physical device.

Do you have any more SATA power connectors on your power supply? That's where their power comes from. I doubt you do. Moving the existing power connections is not a big deal. There is absolutely no risk whatsoever in doing so. With the computer power off, and even unplugged from the wall, there is no power flowing in that connector. Unplug it and move it so that the other connector is in the existing drive.

#59 ·
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.