Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Upgrade for Dell Inspiron 3847

9K views 73 replies 7 participants last post by  texasbullet 
#1 ·
I want to upgrade my Dell Inspiron 3847 I currently have a gt 1030 and I Intel core i3 4150 so can I upgrade to Nvidia GTX 1650 without any pin connectors and a Intel core i7 4790 I have a 300w psu so will my computer be good to go.

#2 ·
In regard to will the planned upgrades fit and will the PSU be OK for the graphic card - the GTX1650 - providing it is the standard 1650 that only draws 75W from the slot and does not require a separate power connection - the answer is YES

In regard to is it worthwhile - the answer is it depends on cost and what you expect to gain
DDR3
out of date chipset
Intel H81

do not expect it to perform like a present day computer

These links will help
Solved: Inspiron 3847, CPU upgrade worth it? - Dell Community

Intel Core i34150 Processor 3M Cache 3.50 GHz Product Specifications

Intel Core i74790 Processor 8M Cache up to 4.00 GHz Product Specifications
same 1150 socket

GeForce GT 1030 | Specifications | GeForce (nvidia.com)

GEFORCE GTX 1650 (nvidia.com)
CAUTION Check measurements of planned card and present card
The present one MAY NOT be a standard 1030 but one with the same chip manufactured for DELL and MAY be smaller

Inspiron 3847 Specifications (dell.com)

Intel H81 Chipset Product Specifications

===============
So the main question is cost to you and what you want to gain from the planned upgrade
Presuming you are on a spinning hard drive you would definitely benefit from a SSD for general performance but not especially for gaming

So - more info from you is needed to give you a more positive answer.
IMHO - unless these parts are going to be available to you - at really low cost, it is not likely to be worthwhile

Reactions: 2twenty2
#3 ·
In regard to will the planned upgrades fit and will the PSU be OK for the graphic card - the GTX1650 - providing it is the standard 1650 that only draws 75W from the slot and does not require a separate power connection - the answer is YES

In regard to is it worthwhile - the answer is it depends on cost and what you expect to gain
DDR3
out of date chipset
Intel H81

do not expect it to perform like a present day computer

These links will help
Solved: Inspiron 3847, CPU upgrade worth it? - Dell Community

Intel Core i34150 Processor 3M Cache 3.50 GHz Product Specifications

Intel Core i74790 Processor 8M Cache up to 4.00 GHz Product Specifications
same 1150 socket

GeForce GT 1030 | Specifications | GeForce (nvidia.com)

GEFORCE GTX 1650 (nvidia.com)
CAUTION Check measurements of planned card and present card
The present one MAY NOT be a standard 1030 but one with the same chip manufactured for DELL and MAY be smaller

Inspiron 3847 Specifications (dell.com)

Intel H81 Chipset Product Specifications

===============
So the main question is cost to you and what you want to gain from the planned upgrade
Presuming you are on a spinning hard drive you would definitely benefit from a SSD for general performance but not especially for gaming

So - more info from you is needed to give you a more positive answer.
IMHO - unless these parts are going to be available to you - at really low cost, it is not likely to be worthwhile
I am ready to spend any amount I just need the right answers can I use a Intel core i7 4790K and GTX 1650 without any pin connectors or the GTX 1050 or the 1050ti and I am planning on getting a SSD I have a 900gb hdd so I'm good

#5 ·
Thank you so much for answering my question but why you getting mad like calm down I am mad for a few days to but that's not how replying is so what I mean by pin connectors is you know the 6 pin or 8 pin connectors on the graphics card that is what I meant and what kind of GTX 1650 is without the pin connectors

#6 ·
I want to upgrade my Dell Inspiron 3847 I currently have a gt 1030 and I Intel core i3 4150 so can I upgrade to Nvidia GTX 1650 without any pin connectors and a Intel core i7 4790 I have a 300w psu so will my computer be good to go.
What is the exact 7-character "service tag" number on that Dell?

Does it currently have all of its original hardware, or has any new hardware been added to it or upgraded?

--------------------------------------------------

#9 ·
service tag is 39B1122
According to that service tag number, you have THIS Dell Inspiron 3847 Mini Tower PC

According to its support site, it was originally purchased in February 2015 and came with Windows 8 64-bit.

According to its product specifications sections, it came with this hardware:
Intel H81 chipset
Intel Core i3-4150 3.50 GHz dual core processor
8 GB(4 GB x 2) DDR3-1600 MHz RAM
Western Digital 1 TB(931 GB) SATA3 7200 RPM hard disk drive
Intel HD Graphics 4400 integrated graphics
300W power supply
Dell 088DT1 motherboard (expansion slots: 1 - PCI Express x16, 2 - PCI Express x1)

Macboatmaster has already spent a lot of time and provided you with a lot of information so you can make your desired hardware upgrades, so you don't need any further input from me.

-------------------------------------------------

#10 ·
IMO you are fighting a losing battle. Attempting to upgrade what is now 8yr old hardware is very often an exercise in futility.
Next, nvidia says the minimum pw supply for a standard 1650 is 300W. Here is the nvidia spec sheet for a 1650;
GeForce GTX 1650 Graphics Card | NVIDIA
Going with min spec on anything is not something I would do; up to you. Dell pw supplies are not junk however they are not top of the line either. If someone brought this system to me, I would recommend something around a 400W quality unit.

This is never going to preform like a modern Ryzen or Intel system; just not going to happen.

#11 ·
So can I go ahead and use a GTX 1650 this Graphic card and Intel core i7 4790k with whatever I have in my computer and just remove the old graphics card and old processor will I be good to go with 300w psu sorry for asking to many questions because I just don't want my computer to be exploded and I recently bought a gaming PC which I never got and it was a scam so I just wanna buy parts for my computer just the GPU and the cpu if I can't use the GTX 1650 can I use the GTX 1050 or 1050 ti with i7 4790k

#14 ·
That really is up to you. I gave you my opinion regarding attempting to upgrade an old dell. If you really have to do this, I always recommend pulling the motherboard out of the case for an intel swap. AMDs can be done it the case without problems. If this is a used cpu you are installing, be sure and clean all parts with 91% or 99% alcohol. When dry, apply new thermal compound IAW [in accordance with] the thermal compound mfg instructions.

#12 ·
Unless you've updated the BIOS software since that Dell was originally purchased in February 2015, I'm guessing it still has version A05.

The current BIOS software version is A11 which was released in July 2019.
https://www.dell.com/support/home/e...scode=wt64a&productcode=inspiron-3847-desktop

If you plan to upgrade the Intel Core i3-4150 processor to an Intel Core i7-4790/4790K, you should update the BIOS software first before you make the upgrade.

Just make sure you know what you're doing and don't cause the BIOS software update to fail, or else you may wind up with a non-working Dell.

--------------------------------------------------

#13 ·
I already updated the bios like a while ago it's already version A11 so do I need to change any psu or anything or can I just continue putting in the GTX 1650 with i7 4790k and if the GPU is not good enough for me should I use the GTX 1050 ti or just go with GTX 1650

#15 ·
What will be better to use GTX 1650 or GTX 1050/1050ti and I am definitely getting a new CPU so I have to get thermal paste should I be worried using a 300w psu because I don't want to use a different psu I have to remove all the wires and re cable manage them so I don't wanna go through alot of hard work

#17 ·
Where I used to work, we had at least 3~4000 dell computers. They did a fine job for what we used them for; pilot training, wx forecasts, general office stuff, record keeping, etc however I would NEVER think of attempting to game with one of them. Dells are just not made for gaming [exception being the alienware systems] A well-designed gaming system starts with a performance motherboard, a high-end pw supply, a case with good airflow, etc, etc. Dell [or any big box system] motherboards just do not have the heavy-duty pw regulation, heavy-duty capacitors, extra chipset cooling, reinforced slots for the video card, etc that you find on a high end asus, asrock, or gigabyte motherboard.

While you can install performance parts in a dell, it is analogous to installing a high-performance cam in an econobox car. It will run however it will never run well.

#19 ·
So how can I make it run well should I change to GTX 1050 or should I change to a I5 processor because as you said it will never run well what do you mean by that will it crash will it shut down like what do you mean exactly cause I am going to buy the GPU and CPU soon so I need the right upgrades so I don't lag and play smooth and with my current gpu and cpu gt 1030 i3 4150 my computer boots really slow

#20 · (Edited)
I really cannot explain it any other way. Any device whether it is a computer, an engine, or anything else is only as strong as the weakest part. In your case, there are a number of weak parts; dell pw supply, motherboard, dell case. Dell stuff is fine for general use; NOT fine for a gaming system.
If you want a system for gaming, either build one OR purchase a gaming system from a reliable mfg.
IMO you are just wasting money attempting to make an old dell into a gaming system.

#21 ·
Ok so can I just go ahead and upgrade to i7 4790k and GTX 1650 in my Dell Inspiron 3847 I know and I am not using it for gaming just for recording and small games here and there not the big games so will my computer be good and can I use GTX 1650 and i7 4790k

#23 ·
I really cannot explain it any other way. Any device whether it is a computer, an engine, or anything else is only as strong as the weakest part. In your case, there are a number of weak parts; dell pw supply, motherboard, dell case. Dell stuff is fine for general use; NOT fine for a gaming system.
If you want a system for gaming, either build one OR purchase a gaming system from a reliable mfg.
IMO you are just wasting money attempting to make an old dell into a gaming system.
You haven't replied to my recent message

#25 ·
Will it destroy my PC because I am going to buy it today and it's going to be the GTX 1650 and i7 processor so anyone wanna tell me the dangers or what will happen and will it boost my computer experience before I do anything and regret it because this is the only computer I have and my family uses it and I don't want to regret it later

#26 · (Edited)
I gave you the answer in my first reply and that was the FIRST reply
The upgrades will be Ok subject to the warnings I posted in that reply
The actual make of the 1650 and the power requirement of that make
The size of the existing graphics card in the Dell
As I explained Dell being large manufacturer have some parts specially made for their computers and the card that is in does not have to be the standard size which I listed in one of the links I sent you on my reply

You have to check the specs
IF you have not done this sort of job before I urge caution
It is not that difficult to bend a pin when inserting the CPU

My opinion is the same as it was when I posted my reply
It MAYBE that you will be extremely disappointed with the improvements against the cost involved

Reactions: 2twenty2
#28 · (Edited)
I cannot help further
For some reason, you keep posting - that the questions you ask are not being answered.
The questions were answered in the first reply and have been answered by my colleague since that reply.

If we tell you it CAN be done - but may well not be worthwhile then why would you ask NOW
but WHAT BAD will happen that's all I need WILL my computer still work after the update WILL there be any explosion or will it stop WORKING

#29 ·
you have 11 years of membership and THIS IS HOW YOU TREAT OTHERS try to understand i am a kid i am 15 so i dont understand that much about COMPUTERS i just want to know in simple words will my computer burn will it blow up and if not am i good to upgrade or at least tell me what to buy like what gpu would be perfect for me and what kind of cpu would be perfect

#31 ·
THIS IS HOW YOU TREAT OTHERS try to understand i am a kid i am 15 so i dont understand that much about COMPUTERS
In that case my strong advice is to refer to your parents/guardians and have the job done for you - if you insist on progressing with it - NOT to attempt it yourself

#30 ·
I am going to make one last attempt and it will be the absolutely last time I post in this thread.
at least tell me what to buy like what gpu would be perfect for me
There is no perfect. There is what works for a given task. Can you put that gpu in your system, probably yes as long as you check the length of the slot.
i just want to know in simple words will my computer burn will it blow up
This has already been explained to you numerous times. Going with min spec on a pw supply that is now 8yr old is [IMO] asking for a problem. Does it meet min spec, yes.

If you do not intend on pulling the motherboard to do a cpu swap [which I HIGHLY recommend] be very careful swapping the processor. The pins on that type of processor are in the motherboard socket and not on the processor. The processor has pads which are pretty hard to hurt. The pins in the socket however are very easy to damage.

#36 ·
Ok I am really sorry but to get respect he needs to give respect but fine I accept that I was rude hey
Thanks for the backhanded apology. For the record, there was nothing disrespectful about Macboatmaster's posts. Even if there had been, the proper procedure would be to report it and not address it on the public forums. So this incident can be laid to rest now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.