Upgrade from 95 to 98se

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

owenb1

Trying to upgrade from Win 95 to Win 98 second edition but getting an error message saying that there is a version of windows allready installed and that I need the windows upgrade - how can i get around this? Would it be easier to wipe the hard drive and then install 98 se, if so, whats the best way to go about this?

owenb1

Thanx for the reply - how do i create a win 95 start-up disk??

Sorry if im being dumb but i'm new to this!

Is this the easiest way to upgrade to 98 se?

pyritechips

Jim
Gone but Never Forgotten
Hello!

If you do not have access to a Win98 computer to create a boot disc you can get one HERE Download it, unzip it and copy it to a a clean floppy.

owenb1

Thanx again for the replies guys!

What about bringing up DOS on startup and typing format c and then installing 98 se

Is this a good idea and can anyone help??

owenb1

What about bringing up DOS on startup and typing format c and then installing 98 se

Is this a good idea and can anyone help??

IMM

There's nothing wrong with that - you will of course lose everything on your drive and start over. Your call. Remember you will have to come up with all the hardware drivers for win98 - those for the motherboard are first (and perhasp most important - unless your motherboard is considerably older than win98 is)

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
My concern would be the amount of ram in the machine.

owenb1

I have 80mb of RAM, the pc was bought new in about 96/7

How do I check HD size?

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Either the bios setup, or go into my computer, and right click on the drive, then properties.

owenb1

80 mb ram
1,19gb

Will this be ok for win 98 se - i will be getting a bigger hd soon.

that will be okay for 98 before you format you,ll need to run fdisk, you can do that in dos just type c: fdisk, then delete the primary dos partition then make a primary dos partiton, then you should be right to format. type c: to get back to c: drive then type format space c: youll get a message abort fail retry enter f for fail and formating should start. youll need a 98 start up disk. when comp restarts after formatting hold down the delete key to get into bios, in there change the boot sequence to a,c exit and save putin your boot disk and just follow the instructions

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online