upgrade from 98 to XP?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Newman

Hi,
I have a PC that I want to upgrade its OS from 98 to XP. When I run the Checking Compatibility before the installation, Window gives me a report that I don't understand fully what's written. For example, it says that my HSP56 MicroModem is not compatible(how do I make it compatible?). The video, sound and game controller device is not compatible(This is important because I don't know what they are and how to make it compatible with winXP). Also, it tells me that I need to reinstall some softwares like Drive Image 2.0 adn Drive Image Pro 3.0( what are they and Do I really need them to run WinXP?). If you know, please explain each of these components to me and tell me how can I make them to support WinXP if I choose to upgrade. Please give me full detail if you can because these things are new to me.
Regards.

ok, first off, major software components such as your virus scan and any utilities such as drive image pro (which is a hard drive imaging program) need to be reinstalled with compatible versions. this is mainly because those versions were written to support the os's of the time of it's release. some were made just for 9x or NT/2000. because xp is built off of windows 2000, anything like legacy utilities (older software utility programs) will need to be replaced by newer versions. (i.e. if you have McAffee 3.5 then you need to upgrade to Mcaffee 4.5, 5, or 6.) You don't particularly need things like Drive Image Pro to run XP unless you plan on doing some hard drive imaging in the near future. On the subject of your modem drivers, as well as your video and sound drivers: i have a website for you to visit. http://www.microsoft.com/hcl/. this is a comprehensive list of all hardware devices compatible with the windows family of operating systems. the modem, sound, and video drivers are needed to run xp right. Find out who manufactured each device (i.e. who made your modem/video card/sound card) and visit their support site to see if they offer the new driver versions and if those new drivers support xp or not. don't install these drivers until you install xp. once xp is installed, then you can install the drivers. if your video card is an nvidia chipset card you should have no problem installing xp. any more info you need, email me at volrath_the_insane@msn.com. hope i helped.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online