1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrade from P3 to AMD 2600 PROBLEM

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by oldie, Sep 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. oldie

oldie Thread Starter

Hi all - great forum here - hope the members are tolerant of newbie silver surfers - like wot I is :confused:

My problem? - my computer in doc past 5 weeks for upgrade from P3 733 - to AMD 2600XP + appropriate motherboard - but according to the tech there is a compatability problem with it and my win XP Pro - ? motherboard faulty and awaiting replacement

My 1st post here guys :)

Regards - oldie

2. RSM123

RSM123

Hi,

Welcome to TSG. I have two Athlon 2600 Machines one running XP Home and one XP Pro . What compatability issues are you refering to here ? I haven't had any.

3. oldie

oldie Thread Starter

@RSM123 - wow what a quick reply - thanks - sorry to be vague on this one but as I say my tech cannot get the processor + motherboard + winXP to work together

AMDs are little used here in Malta so not many computer outlets are familiar with them !!!

Again - thanks

4. putasolution

putasolution

As long as you have a Socket A motherboard, and possibly an updated BIOS, there should be no problems

Personally, I prefer to do a clean install on a new motherboard, usually because the chipset drivers can get a bit muddled

5. oldie

oldie Thread Starter

Again- thanks - maybe you should pop over here (Malta) and show these guys how :eek:

Regards - oldie

6. oldie

oldie Thread Starter

Just received this e-mail from my comp tec guy !!!

Here's an update as of yesterday...

- The motherboard is a Socket A type
    - The BIOS is the latest (release date 19/9/03)
    - The hard drive has been formatted and nothing but win XP was installed.
    - We've dismantled the entire computer and tried installing XP onto a bare bones setup (apart from the Hard disk & the Motherboard, there was only the Video card (even changed that twice - just in case.)

The only thing we haven't done yet is to change the power supply - which will be done on Monday.

While we're trying out the different configurations we ordered a new motherboard - which will arrive on Wednesday - so if nothing works - we're going to assume the motherboard is faulty and just change that.

Should anything else pop up I'll keep you informed.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Not much info: What exactly is the problem? Is there an error message? No mention of trying different RAM - generally the first thing most techs try.

8. compilerxp

compilerxp

There are no compatiblity issues with WindowsXP and AMD... but if your "store" has put your AMD 2600 on an OLDER board, like a KT266 - then it will have problems.

What is the board. Hopefully the "faulty" board is being replacing with a truely "appropriate motherboard" - but we have no idea what model or brand of motherboard.

9. oldie

oldie Thread Starter

Like I said we changed everything in the PC (including the RAM).

What ends up happening is the PC boots up normally, the problem begins when we install the operating system.

When the Installation is copying files onto the hard disk (THis is still in the "DOS" window mind you) It gets about half way (sometimes a little bit more - sometimes a little less) then it reports that one of the files are corrupt and stops.
    Or it just halts when it is copying the file without giving any error message.

We have tried different setup disks - all with the same result. We've tried to install Win XP - Win 2000 and Win 98SE.

So there you have it guys - 7 weeks and still not solved :(

Is suicide an option :mad:

Cheers - oldie

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd get new tech guys. :D There really isn't a lot of things that can go wrong here, and swapping parts to isolate the problem should take maybe hours, not weeks!

11. oldie

oldie Thread Starter

Yes I here what you say - but to be fair everything here has to be imported either by air or sea - the motherboard came by air from the states and now a replacement is on the way !!!

Thanks tho for your interest - just a case now of watch this space

Regards - oldie :(

12. compilerxp

compilerxp

Yuck... that sucks. It's sure giving them a BAD experince.. :(

I kinda know what its like to be on an ISLAND... I lived on one for a bit - when I went over, I brought over 3 big boxes of GOODS to the friend he needed. heheh

13. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Really sounds like a memory problem. They probably replaced the ram with the same brand.... Send it to me, I'll fix it overnight...

UNLESS IT'S A PC_CHIPS BOARD!!!!

14. pronute

pronute

Have your tech install ether a modem or nic card before the OS installation did the trick for me a number of times with XP. For some reason XP seems to lock up during hardware detection without some sort of communications device installed.

15. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I hope they're not charging you for all that time. I know I would have been fired for spending 7 hours on a single computer, let alone 7 weeks. FutureShop here in Canada will give you a new computer if it takes longer then 60 days.

Here's my thoughts:

1). Ram - bad or incompatible.
    2). Poor setup - short on motherboard, improper seating, incompatible parts, improper Heatsink/fan mounting.
    3). Bad drive - either CD-ROM or harddrive if fualty.
    4). Bad mobo - it happens quite frequently and causes a wide range of problems.
    5). Another device in the computer - ie Video, Modem, sound, lan, etc.
    6). Powersupply - faulty, cheap, or not having enough juice.

2-3 days at most to diagnose this kind of problem. And most of this would be waiting for a part or running through the setup repeatly. Any good shop should have parts laying around to test. Also why order parts from the US? There must be closer suppliers/offices?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168054

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice