Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Upgrade from P4 1.5Gb to P4 2.6 Gb?

752 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Deathblow 
#1 ·
Hi all.

I was going to go all out andupgrade to a beast of a Intel processor, but found out my motherboard will only support up to a P4 2.6Gb, which really suits me better as funds are tight. Iv'e seen one on eBay that will probably cost me between £50-£60 (appx us$80 - $100). Does anyone think the upgrade from my current P4 1.5 to a 2.6 is worthwhile for this price? What sort of increase in 'number crunching' and graphics can I expect to see with this upgrade? 20-30% perhaps?

Thanks.

babylon303.

#2 ·
I really would think twice about buying a processor on eBay unless you know the vendor and you have return privileges. You'll see an increase in processing speed, though not anything earth shattering. You won't see any measureable increase in graphics performance, since that's going to depend far more on the bus speed and the graphics board in use.

#3 ·
babylon303 said:
Hi all.

I was going to go all out andupgrade to a beast of a Intel processor, but found out my motherboard will only support up to a P4 2.6Gb, which really suits me better as funds are tight. Iv'e seen one on eBay that will probably cost me between £50-£60 (appx us$80 - $100). Does anyone think the upgrade from my current P4 1.5 to a 2.6 is worthwhile for this price? What sort of increase in 'number crunching' and graphics can I expect to see with this upgrade? 20-30% perhaps?

Thanks.

babylon303.
Also check the latest bios updates for your motherboard, to see if it will support a higher processor after a flash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.