1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrade from win98 to winxp

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jhmurph, Oct 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jhmurph

jhmurph Thread Starter

unable to get past initial stage of upgrade. i get a fatal error after it tells me it can't copy mfc32 to my machine.

2. dabwid

dabwid

3. jhmurph

jhmurph Thread Starter

My major computer problem is between the chair back and the keyboard, also.
    I should have been more specific. I'm trying to upgrade my Windows 98 with an install of Windows XP Professional. I want to wind up with only the Windows XP Operating System. I have the CD (paid for it and everything) and tried to install from the CD. When that didn't work I went to the MS website. They suggested copying one of the directories to my C-drive. Then running the setup from RUN off the START button. Just as fatal. Microsoft is so predictable. Unfortunately, I work for a living and I do it outside of my home. So i don't get to call them in normal business hours.

4. Old Rich

Old Rich

Were you able to boot from the XP CD? To do that, enter BIOS ( Setup ) and make sure the CD/ROM the first boot device. Put your XP Disc in the drive and disconnect all external peripherals except the keyboard and mouse, and be sure those are not USB, or wireless.

Once you set your BIOS to boot first from cd . . when it restarts you will see a black screen with a prompt "Press any key to boot from cd" . . do that and you will be able to delete partitions and recreate the ones you want and proceed to formating and installing XP

That message can pass quickly, so have a finger on the keyboard when you boot. This will delete all data on the drive so be sure you have your important data backed up.

This is a good guide to reinstalling XP . . you might want to print it for reference during the install.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp

You will have to reload drivers and applications, After the installation, you will need to download and install the MicroSoft Critical Updates. Alternately, this would be a good time to install SP-2, while windows is clean. Prior to connecting to the internet be sure you enable the XP firewall.

If you want to save your files and settings, you can use the XP Files and Settings Transfer (FAST) wizard to create an image of them and save to cd or other removable media. This is a good guide to using the FAST wizard.
    Just be sure you have an up-to-date antivirus before you re-instate them!

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_fstw.asp

Good luck and have fun . . wrs

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!