upgrade from windows 98 SE to windows XP?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
Hi iluvubabe31

Welcome to Tech Support Guy Forums!

Download this tool and see if your system has the requirements to run Windows XP:
EDIT: Wrong link, see knowledge base articles below.

DoubleHelix

Banned
Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor cannot be installed on Windows 98. Also, Windows 98 cannot be used as a qualifying product for an upgrade version of Vista. You'd have to purchase a full version.

In any case, it's highly unlikely that a computer running Windows 98 would run Vista well if at all. Vista has some pretty steep system requirements.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
What are the hardware specs on that computer that you're considering upgrading from 98SE to XP?

What is the processor type and speed?

How much RAM is currently installed and how much RAM does it support?

How large is the hard drive?

What is the brand name, model name, and model number of that computer?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

DaveBurnett

Account Closed
Please confirm whether you are trying to go to XP or to Vista as there seems to be a little confusion.

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
Please confirm whether you are trying to go to XP or to Vista as there seems to be a little confusion.
No, no confusion at all. They clearly stated Windows XP. :)

Microsoft's search is pushing Vista and when I searched for the Windows XP upgrade advisor the first result I received was for Vista.
My fault for not verifying the link before I posted it.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online