Upgrade from Windows 98 to XP: How it affects Office

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rome75

I am thinking of upgrading my system from Win 98 to XP. Do I need to buy new software programs for XP, or can I use the same programs I use in 98 as well?

Without knowing what programs you refer to, its hard to give any definite answer, but all mainstream programs will be fine (MS Office 97 etc).

XP upgrade comes with a compatability advisor, and if you run it, you will get a report about what hardware and software issues there will be. I have found it to be quite accurate.

Many software packages will run, but need to be re-installed in my experience.

rome75

I'm sorry...I should have been clearer in my explanation. Actually, I am planning on getting a new computer that has XP on it. Can I simply copy the software programs (Word, Excel, etc.) from 98 and install it into the computer with XP?

No. You need the original CDs, and need to "Install" each program again.

The programs write key data into the Windows Registry during the install process, which means its not successful (or even advisable) to try "copying" the programs.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online