1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrade from Windows Vista (home premium)

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by js73, Dec 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. js73

js73 Thread Starter

I just bought an upgrade version of Windows 7 which I intend to use to upgrade my Vista laptop. I just want to be sure I do not make mistake in this upgrade.

I have a 32 bit Vista, and I want to upgrade to 64 bit Windows 7. Is it possible? Or do I have to use a custom installation? I presume I can do a custom installtion, since though the windows 7 cover says "upgrade from Vista", it also says that one would have to perform a clean install if it was XP that was being upgraded. Am I correct in this assumption?

I know one or two of my programmes (freewares) would not work with 64 bit. Is there any way to run them in an environment which would allow them to run (may be in a compatibility version)?

In case I want to go back to Vista (unlikely, but always possible), would the installation of Windows 7 keep the Vista backup option on my HP laptop drive D?

Finally, why should I use a 64 bit version (except that it is the most advanced?)?

Many thanks for your help. I can back up all my programmes and data on a hard disk, which I would before upgrading.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you have not yet made a set of Recovery DVDs/CDs from the Recovery partition do it now. After you install Windows 7 you will not be able to use the Recovery partition from Vista and will not be able to boot to it. Your current system includes a special HP boot manager that includes booting into the Recovery partition, but that gets wiped out.

You can then still use the Recovery Partition by first booting from the Recovery DVDs/CDs, but since you can also Recover from them you may want to delete the Recovery partition and use that space. Obviously after creating the Recovery discs you want to do a test boot to make sure they are usable.

If you have and need more than 4 GB RAM then, of course, you want to use the 64-bit Windows 7. The only other reasons I know for going 64-bit is to enjoy the challenges of finding drivers and programs that work.

Whichever version of Windows 7 you decide on I suggest doing a "custom" (clean) install. There is no sense in beginning with a brand new OS with carried-over corruption from Vista.

3. ohheck

ohheck

32 programs should run but im pretty sure 16 bit ones will not work on a 64bit system unless you use a virtual machine. i have some old DOS games i still play, they run fine on a windows 95 vm.

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The only option for upgrading from a 32-bit operating system to a 64-bit operating system is a custom install which will wipe out the current Windows install and move it to a Windows.old folder. All programs will need to be reinstalled, and all data will need to be backed up prior to the upgrade and restored after.

5. js73

js73 Thread Starter

Thank you for your helpful responses. I have the Vista back up disks, and I would try to install a 64 bit version of windows 7 (my computer has only 3 GB RAM, but remove the one GB stick and replace it with a two GB stick should not be very expensive.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/886274

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice