Upgrade from XP Home to Pro on a Sony Vaio

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jujennum

I have a new Sony VAIO notebook with windows XP Home installed, there are programs pre-installed that I need for some of the functions to operate correctly, however I want to upgrade to XP Pro, how do I do this?

Can I use a full professional version and will this upgrade, will it install over the top and lose my files or do I have to purchase the actual upgrade version of XP pro. Bearing in mind I already have a copy of XP Pro and would prefer not to pay another $120 for the upgrade package.

Thank you for your help

Jenn

I researched this, but found no clear answer.

All the upgrades I have done have been with upgrade CD's.

If it were me, I would run it and see, if you are not given the option you should be able to cancel. A risk, but you would have had all data backed up for safety anyway.

While you say you "already have a copy of XP Pro", we assume this is an uninstalled copy? Otherwise you will strike issues at activation time, the key for XP home will not work on XP Pro. XP can only be installed on a singel PC, per license. As with all versions of Windows, but enforceable by activation on XP.

jujennum

Thanks so much for your help, kiwiguy. I tried to upgrade with my full install disc (I have the enterprise edition for my small business, so it doesn't require registration.) but it would not work.

I guess I'll just leave it be! Thanks again.

Here's a link to step by step instructions for upgrading a Vaio from XP Home to Pro:

http://129.33.22.8/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/,/?St=650,E=0000000000453445057,K=1170,Sxi=2,Case=obj(250233),TS=External,UseTemplate=response_case.tem

If that link doesn't work then all I did was go to the Sony support web page and clicked on frequently asked questions and it was the last one. I haven't tried it yet to see if it works but it says you need XP Pro with whatever service packs you already have installed for it to work. I wonder if maybe you could make a slipstreamed cd with the appropriate service packs? (My Vaio is only two days old and has SP2 installed and my XP Pro disc doesn't even have SP1). I'm scared to try it but if it works for you please post back here and good luck!

RAM-PAGE

Banned
You should use AutoStreamer 1·0 to slipstream these discs with SP2. It is easy enough to do. I just wonder what advantages people are looking for in "upgrading" from Home to Pro...?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online